Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewrigs for dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Brewmance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Brewrigs for dummies

Hello all,

I am still very new to homebrew with only 3 batches under my belt, and my first grain venture this past sunday.

Though while I am no way ready for such a set up, I keep seeing these amazing brewrigs with 3 kegs or coolers, burners and pumps all within a brilliant maze of stainless steel.

Would some one give me an idea what the different vessels purposes are, and how these rigs work?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

there's a ton of different ways to do it with the 3 kegs or 2 kegs and a cooler, or 2 coolers and a keg... many configurations.

generally, if you have 3 kegs, you use one for the HLT (hot liquor tank), one for the MLT (mashing/lautering tun), and one for the boil kettle.

you can do a gravity fed system (with three levels, usually HLT on top, MLT in the middle and boil kettle on the bottom). OR you can use an electric pump to have a single tier system. as far as the complexity of these systems, you can make them super complex with a counter flow chiller, electric control of everything, fancy plumbing, etc. or you can make them simpler using an immersion chiller and just the pump... there's many acronyms for the different set-ups.

if there's one cooler involved, it is generally the MLT as one keg heats the water, drains into the cooler to mash/sparge and then that drains into the boil kettle...

again, there's many ways to do this, hope this helps clear some of it up for you.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is my control panel. Its all about how complicated you want to make it....

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 387 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I was just explaining my rig to my mother who has NOOOO CLUE about anything remotely realted to beer... (not accusing you of that all... just saying I think I have a pretty short and sweet answer)

one tank = Hot liquor tank (HLT) = where you heat and store hot water
another tank = Mash Tun or Mash/Lauter Tun (MT/MLT) = this is the "coffee filter" where you make "coffee" from from grain instead of coffee beans. Instead of coffee you get wort, or raw beer
another tank = boil kettle (BK) = the pot where you boil your wort to concentrate it a bit more and to add flavoring such as hops.

Everything else (pumps, PIDs (temperature controllers), etc etc) are just fancy ways of having more control over making "coffee" throughout those three pots.

I have a "single tier" system, which just simply means that all of my pots are on the same level. To do that, you need a pump to transfer liquid between the pots since it won't flow via gravity.

A lot of folks have "three tier" systems or "trees" that stagger the pots at different heights so water can flow from one to another by simple gravity.

A lot of folks have PIDs or electronic temperature controllers that either trigger pumps or burners so you can do things such as program in a temp and have a gas burner kick on and off to maintain that temperature in a given pot.

Like android just posted, typically... if you see a cooler in a set up, that's a MT/MLT and the reason a cooler is used is that you want your MT to maintain a given temperature for a long period of time... and since the cooler and really well insulated, it's an easy way to maintain temp.

The really big thing is that you can make them as simply or as complex as you want and chances are pretty good that you'll be able to make excellent beer with any of them once you get the hang of a particular system,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Basic system

Here is our first system, it is very basic, no valves, no pumps or electricity. The pony keggle we use for hot liquor(mash and sparge water) the 10gal corny keggle we use for boil pot (Boiling wort after mash), the red cooler is the mash tun (mashing malt to get wort). There are 3-4 of us helping with the brewing at a time, I think that has something to do with how much you automate steps etc. however since we are going bigger now we will have to get a pump or become gravity fed and install spigots on our new larger tanks/pots due to the volume will be too much to lift/pour, it's also hot.
We can comfortably do 8 gallon batches with this, our new system will be capable of 30 gallons.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLObrewer View Post
Here is our first system, it is very basic
That's still kinda complex, with 3 different vessels.

A very basic system:

Put a big grain bag in your kettle:

After heating the water, instead of transferring to an insulated cooler, use a blanket or 2 to insulate the kettle:

After mashing, instead of transferring the water off the grain into another kettle, pull the grain (in the bag) out of the kettle:

The Brewing Network - How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00 for more info and pics

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I stand corrected, our system is complex compared to the single vessel approach. That is closer to what it was probably like in ye olde days, and probably works fine too.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some of the other terms I've heard are as follows:

HERMS (Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash System) which I use, the mash is kept at temperature by using a pump to recirculate the mash liquid into a HEX (heat exchange) coil in the HLT mentioned w/ hotter water to warm up the liquid and reinsert it back into the MLT mentioned.
RIMS (Recirculating Infusion Mash System) it does a similar concept to HERMS but instead of a hex coil and water temps it has a heating element directly in an off shooting tube of some kind, but the heater has the wort flowing past it limiting the possible scorching direct firing can do to a wort.
BRUTUS (I have no clue what this stands for, but I know I hear a few use it)

All different means of partially or fully automating your mash/brewing system.

You can even skip the DIY world and pay a boatload of cash for some of these type systems prebuilt for you, but I enjoyed building mine almost as much as I enjoy making the beer

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
You can even skip the DIY world and pay a boatload of cash for some of these type systems prebuilt for you, but I enjoyed building mine almost as much as I enjoy making the beer
amen. building stuff is at least half the fun.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 04-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
beerthirty
big beers turn my gears

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

It seems to make your beer taste better too. At least to you.

primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Quick Reply