Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing your own beer - (cost)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
Tuzlo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing your own beer - (cost)

Aside from equipment, is brewing your own beer more expensive or cheaper than brewing from a Kit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
grammatron
Recipes 

It depends on the recipe, I'm sure.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Price per gallon - grain is cheaper than extracts..... if that is what you're asking.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you do a search for "cost of brewing" you will find 30-40 threads on this topic many of them with the actual cost breakdown of every aspect of the hobby, different methods, using different ingredients, even how to cut costs a bit.

This is one of the most asked questions so you'll have no trouble finding the threads on it...eeven the ones from a couple days ago.

BUT I will say, if you come into this hobby to save money...and you don't live in Canada where evidently beer prices are off the charts..this is not initially a cost saving hobby...equipment and materials will add up for a bit...

SO check out the info already on here, and you'll find all you need..

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Huh?

Brewing beer from grain "can" cost as low as .25¢ a serving. But, that is assuming you've bought grain in bulk quantities and that hops aren't outrageously expensive for you. I have my cost per serving as low as .15¢ but I grow my own hops and use them for all additions.

Straight from a kit, you would be in the range of .46 to .75 a serving. Assuming you use the yeast in the kit.

Your question is not very clear. Are you asking is it cheaper to brew your own than it is to buy beer from the store? That all depends on what your flavor is. If you drink mostly macro beers then definitely no. If you drink a lot of obscure craft then it is possible to brew it for less per serving.

But then again this all assumes you don't take the equipment cost (and the endless upgrades) into account.

Bottom line is, few of us brew with the intent to save over bought beer. In fact, many of us still buy a LOT of beer for "research" purposes. In reality, the majority of us brew because we love the process and most everything it involves.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
BruDaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are you asking about the difference between an ingredient kit and buying the ingredients separately and brewing a recipe?

If so, you should be able to figure that out by pricing out the ingredients for a recipe and comparing with a similar kit brew.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Bottom line is, few of us brew with the intent to save over bought beer. In fact, many of us still buy a LOT of beer for "research" purposes. In reality, the majority of us brew because we love the process and most everything it involves.

BWAHAHAHA.......this from the guy that just dropped how many grand on the Roll's Royce of Brewing Systems, the same week he had a baby?...

By the way, how is the "we bairn" doing? (You've posted more info and pics of the saabco than the baby)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Although brewing good beer is the primary reason for brewing, I'm finding that getting the price down as low as possible is also a part of the fun. It gives an added self-competition.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3497 Times on 3388 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Brewing beer from grain "can" cost as low as .25¢ a serving. But, that is assuming you've bought grain in bulk quantities and that hops aren't outrageously expensive for you. I have my cost per serving as low as .15¢ but I grow my own hops and use them for all additions.
Said the guy who just depleted his childrens' college savings by about 7K.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Tuzlo
Recipes 

Quote:
Huh?

Straight from a kit, you would be in the range of .46 to .75 a serving. Assuming you use the yeast in the kit.

Your question is not very clear. Are you asking is it cheaper to brew your own than it is to buy beer from the store? That all depends on what your flavor is. If you drink mostly macro beers then definitely no. If you drink a lot of obscure craft then it is possible to brew it for less per serving.

But then again this all assumes you don't take the equipment cost (and the endless upgrades) into account.

OK. Sorry for the confusion. I guess what I am asking is this. Brew Kits range from $13.99 to close to $40 here in Halifax. If I wanted to get into brewing from scratch be it using grains or extracts (other than equipment) is it more costly to bre with grains or extracts than using a Kit sold at the local Beer and wine store. Just so you know I have my own carbonation system, no need to bottle after brewing.

Andy

Quick Reply