New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing with unboiled tap water?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
aidan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Brewing with unboiled tap water?

Does anyone here brew with unboiled tap water? ie. use water straight from the tap for topping up after partial boil or for mixing up a kit beer.

I did my fourth batch last night and used water straight from the tap. In my previous batch I boiled the water a day in advance in order to have it cooled down. But my first 2 batches I used straight from the tap and I didn't have a problem.

So I'm wondering if it's considered bad practice to use the water straight from the tap or is it acceptable? It is certainly a lot easier and energy efficient not to have to boil it. My water is good quality city water.

And a related point: For those who are using water straight from the tap - do you rinse with water after sanitising? I sanitised my fermentor with iodophor but then rinsed with water as I didn't like the idea of traces of iodophor in my beer (and rinsing with water is quicker than trying to drain it out). I know some people warn about rinsing with water, saying that it is no longer sanitised after you rinse with tap water. But it's the same water I'm adding directly to my wort so it can't make any difference. Thoughts?

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
BigTexun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd be more concerned about boiling a day in advance. When you heat your water, you lose all the chlorine. As it cools over those 24 hours, you risk an infection since you'll not have any free chlorine to kill whatever bugs happen to go swimming.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

I don't boil any of my water. But I also don't top off.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
steinsato

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wouldn't use tap water to top off. It most likely has chlorine in it which will give you off flavors. There is also a chance that it is not sanitary. But the chlorine is probably the biggest issue you'll run into.

I also use iodophor and I do not rinse after sanitizing. I just drain as much of the leftover solution out as possible.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
msarro
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

From most of my reading the small amount of chlorine usually used in municipal water supplies shouldn't really cause any off flavors. BUT if for some reason its higher than usual, like if they have just added chlorine, then it can cause a problem.

I personally just use a britta filter to remove any chlorine.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
aidan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTexun View Post
Personally, I'd be more concerned about boiling a day in advance. When you heat your water, you lose all the chlorine. As it cools over those 24 hours, you risk an infection since you'll not have any free chlorine to kill whatever bugs happen to go swimming.
Well I did store it in sealed sanitised fermenter and put it in fridge to chill so I don't think that's an issue. But it's a considerable amount of prep work plus energy usage so that's why I'm trying to figure out if I'm running any serious risks by just using the water straight from the tap.

Blogging about the experiences of a new home brewer at BeerAndGarden.com

"Pursue Hoppiness With Diligence"

Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
dinertime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always topped off my extract and partial mash brews with tap water after the boil. Never had any sanitation problems or off flavors that I would attribute to that. Of course I live in NYC and the water is considered pretty good.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 69

The tap water here tastes like ****e so I spend $6.00 per batch and use bottle spring water. I use tap water for mixing Star San but I wouldn't even try brewing with it here.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Used tap water to top off my first brew, no problems here and tastes fine. Also used tap in my current two running brews.

Rev.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Sacreddog717
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I use tap water all the time. Never had a problem with off flavors. Work good for me.

Quick Reply