Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Supply list help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also, do you need any supplies for making yeast starters? Depends on what kind of yeast you're planning on using, and the gravity of the beers you're planning on brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
JeffoC6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Also, do you need any supplies for making yeast starters? Depends on what kind of yeast you're planning on using, and the gravity of the beers you're planning on brewing.
The carboy I currently have from Brooklyn Brew Shop does have a handle near the neck, so I'd be looking to get something similar, yea. I'm fermenting in a walk-in closet that stays pretty cool. As far as supplies for making yeast starters and knowing what yeast I plan on using, I have no idea. All of these kits that I see online are usually for 5 gallons of beer, so I really want to find 1-gallon kits. I'm assuming when I buy the kit, they just provide me with the yeast that I need, no?

Sorry, really new to all of this and haven't gotten into understanding what yeasts I'm supposed to use or how I even make a starter.

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
Zrab11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
If you get glass carboys, I highly recommend getting the handles that go around the neck, much easier to move them around.

Where will you be fermenting? Do you need any supplies to assist with temp control?

I will be fermenting in my house.. My back closet stays in-between 60-70 degrees on a constant basics . As for lagers i have a chest freezer that i use as my cellar and that has a temp control set up to it that is set to 45-50.

So i should be able to get away with the closet but if i wanted exact temp i would need to buy/make a fermentation chamber.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Zrab11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I do not have any supplies to make yeast.. I plan on doing a pale ale for my 1st brew, then prob. a brown ale, then a DIPA and then a stout.. Should i buy some supplies to help make yeast?

If i should what supplies would you recommend. ?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Zrab11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
The carboy I currently have from Brooklyn Brew Shop does have a handle near the neck, so I'd be looking to get something similar, yea. I'm fermenting in a walk-in closet that stays pretty cool. As far as supplies for making yeast starters and knowing what yeast I plan on using, I have no idea. All of these kits that I see online are usually for 5 gallons of beer, so I really want to find 1-gallon kits. I'm assuming when I buy the kit, they just provide me with the yeast that I need, no?

Sorry, really new to all of this and haven't gotten into understanding what yeasts I'm supposed to use or how I even make a starter.
I think your THREAD JACKING but its ok i'm a nice guy..

I def. want everyone to answer my questions but feel free to chime in on this guys questions as well

Old 01-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrab11 View Post
I think your THREAD JACKING but its ok i'm a nice guy..

I def. want everyone to answer my questions but feel free to chime in on this guys questions as well
Sorry man. I didn't want to start a new thread with similar questions. My apologies

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #17
Zrab11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
Sorry man. I didn't want to start a new thread with similar questions. My apologies
Like i said.. No biggy..

I;m keel with the community answering both our questions.. I just don't want to get over looked.. No need to start a new thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanofreak View Post
I agree about getting buckets, but if you're going to stick with carboys I would get a 6.5 gallon as a primary, and a 5 as a secondary.

I love my buckets though. I have them, carboys, and better bottles. Really prefer the buckets.
I don't use a "secondary" (clearing vessel) except for lagering and I use 7.9 gallon buckets for fermenting. If you're going to use carboys and not buckets, a 5 gallon carboy is too small! You need a 6.5 gallon carboy if you're using it to ferment in. I like the plastic "Better Bottles" but the largest size they come in is 6 gallons so I don't use them all that often.

Quote:
I do not have any supplies to make yeast.. I plan on doing a pale ale for my 1st brew, then prob. a brown ale, then a DIPA and then a stout.. Should i buy some supplies to help make yeast?

You can buy packages of yeast so that you don't have to make a yeast starter. But if you want to make sure you can make a yeast starter if you want to, you need some DME (dry malt extract). You just boil up 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups water (scale up if you need to make it bigger) and then cool that. You pour it into a growler or jug, and cover with sanitized foil. I bought a 3 pound bag of DME that I keep around just for yeast starters.

I wouldn't buy any bottles at all. I'd buy two cases of Sam Adams and drink it while my beer is fermenting. I bought two cases of Grolsch one time- dislike the beer, but I love the reusable flip-tops!

Never buy empty bottles! You can collect them from bars, recycling centers, etc.

You need some siphoning equipment for sure, and a bottling wand. An autosiphon, the correctly sized tubing, a bottling bucket, and the bottling wand are as crucial as a hydrometer.

I really think some kit prices are reasonable, and you could get a kit with all you need for $80, instead of trying to piece it together. I like this one: Basic Starter Kit - Starter Kits - Brewing : Northern Brewer

Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
sroberts
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:

For your basic brews the Wyeast smack packs work great -no fussing with starters, etc. I've also used the Safale dry and simply hydrated it - both worked like a champ.

I spent a lot of time trying to save money on making my own wort chiller but found the 3/8" x 50' online for $70 was about the same as I could do making it on my own, and it arrives in a perfect spiral.

Unless I missed it, you'll want a mash tun before long - just an old cooler and a diy manifold works great.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Zrab11
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So in everyones experience is a 6 gallon carboy or better bottle not efficient enough to do 5 gallon batches??

Is a 6.5 gallon bucket the only option?

Quick Reply