Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing with a stomach bug...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
srkaeppler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing with a stomach bug...?

Hey All-

I am not sure this in the correct forum, but I feel it is somewhat of a beginners question. I have a stomach virus or something that has been affecting me for the last few days. I thought I was better yesterday, but still had some problems. Anyway, I wanted to start a new brew today, which will take up to a month in secondary. I started the yeast last night and plan to get a starter going in a little while. I have just been wondering whether I should proceed on actually brewing or not. The way I see it, a batch of beer is the perfect place for a virus or anything organic to grow. Anyway, just looking for a bit of advice or suggestions. Like I say, this is more in the stomach area, not a respiratory thing.

Thanks all!

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srkaeppler View Post
The way I see it, a batch of beer is the perfect place for a virus or anything organic to grow.
Steve
Actually not. It has a low pH and the hop compounds which are antiseptic to many organisms. When the yeast start making alcohol, then you have the power of alcohol on your side killing other organisms. However, there are a couple of bugs that can thrive in this environment...namely acetobacter which turns alcohol to vinegar, and some wild yeasts/molds. You should be fine brewing while sick as long as you are not sneezing or barfing into the cooled wort and keep everything sanitized like always.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Just don't sneeze, poop or hurl into your brew kettle/fermenter after the boil and you should be ok.

(Before the boil anything goes.)

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Andy_LV
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

wear mask!

yea, the stomach virus season is starting - same here, wifey is down, I'm drinking bit more home brew than usual and feel only weak symptoms. wonder if the yeast in the brew somehow helps...

Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd argue that the only side effects from sneezing into the wort would be taste due to bodily secretions (and even then in a 5.5 gallon batch, who can taste a little snot?). Viruses cannot readily live in wort if I remember right, they need a host.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
sensortech
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The sneeze may not be quite as noticeable the barf.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just don't sneeze, poop or hurl into your brew kettle/fermenter after the boil and you should be ok.

(Before the boil anything goes.)
Words of wisdom we can all live by I think

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Quick Reply