The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Steam Beer from Lager Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 AM   #1
short_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Steam Beer from Lager Kit?

Sorry in advance for the n00b question, but is this possible?

For some background, just in case I'm a little to green to even think of such a thing. I've got 2 brews under my belt so far: an American Pale Ale and a Dale's Ale that I just bottled yesterday.

I really like Anchor Steam and was going to attempt something similar. When I started looking at my local brew store I noticed that a lot of the Lager kits were on sale (~$20) and the steam kits were like $50...and I'm on a bit of a budget.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

#1 - You get what you pay for in beer kits. Expensive kits are expensive because they have more hops, more malt and produce higher % ABV beers with more body, bitterness and hoppiness. Cheap kits generally require additional sugar and produce low body, low ABV beers.

A typical AS clone recipe runs 7-8 pounds of extract. Cheap lager kits 3.3 pounds + table sugar.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 08-03-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
blowmax10
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your just looking for a cheap beer kit that will produce a good beer then check out the Scottish 60 kit from northern brewer. It runs about $20 and will produce a light beer that still has good flavor

Scottish 60 /- Extract Kit - Extract Ale Kits - Extract Kits - Recipe Kits

I've done this kit several times and have always been surprised with how good the results have been

Quick Reply