New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Small Batches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
aksea102
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Small Batches

There was a recent post with regards to brewing small batches in order to experiment with different recipes. As a newbie brewer, I find this idea brilliant! It was something I hadn't thought of yet and something I look forward to trying. There were many replies to the thread that covered various containers to use for fermenters, and where to get them. I still have one question though, and I believe the poster had the same one...
What are the hazards of fermenting small batches in 5 gallon glass carboys? Say I scale down a 5gal recipe to equal 3gal, and use my 5gal carboy to ferment. Obviously there will be a fair amount of headspace in the carboy. What effect will this headspace have on my beer??
Thanks!

Last edited by aksea102; 07-18-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
JacobInIndy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksea102 View Post
There was a recent post with regards to brewing small batches in order to experiment with different recipes. As a newbie brewer, I find this idea brilliant! It was something I hadn't thought of yet and something I look forward to trying. There were many replies to the thread that covered various containers to use for fermenters, and where to get them. I still have one question though, and I believe the poster had the same one...
What are the hazards of fermenting small batches in 5 gallon glass carboys? Say I scale down a 5gal recipe to equal 3gal, and use my 5gal carboy to ferment. Obviously there will be a fair amount of headspace in the carboy. What effect will this headspace have on my beer??
Thanks!
3 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy is no biggie. When I went all grain, I only had capacity to boil 4-5 gallons. So I would end up with 3 gallons of wort. I primaried in my 6.5 gallon carboy and had no bad effects.

The issue is secondary-ing in a 5 gallon carboy. There's not quite as much
co2 being produced to blanket your beer and prevent oxidation. But, unless your in secondary for something like 6 months, I wouldn't worry about that.

Primary 1: Guardrail Pale Ale
Primary 2: Lake Vacation Wit
Primary 3: Air
Secondary:All my secondaries are currently primaries
Bottled/Conditioning: Riesling
Keg 1: Old Yeast
Keg 2: Old Yeast
Bottled & Drinking: Commercial Stuff
On Deck: Nada

Old 07-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
craven_morhead
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you're just using it as a primary, headspace won't be a problem, as the co2 from your yeasties will form a protective blanket and prevent oxidization. Opinions vary as to whether enough co2 is produced during secondary to form the same blanket, but if you just do a long primary you're fine.

Primary: Cascade/Amarillo IPA

Old 07-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts

I started a thread regarding this ages ago. It might be of some help to you. Smaller Batches=More Variation

What's tappening? :D

Old 07-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This is good stuff. The head space issue has always concerned me, but I rarely ever go to a secondary. I may just whip up a couple smaller 2-3 gallon batches this weekend in my 4 gallons. Maybe I will even get adventurous and try my hand at an all-grain.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do small ones all the time. My only complaint is you get no less trub so if you do a half batch you get less than a full case so you may want to shoot for 3 gallons.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #7
jennieD
Recipes 

My electric stove sucks and it takes waaay to long to bring more than 2 gallons of water to a boil, so I've been making 2.5 gallon batches. I've kept my last 2 batches in the primary for at least 3 weeks and didn't use a secondary. So far, so good! You can keep batches in primary for several weeks and just not bother with a secondary...some seasoned brewing vets still make great beer without ever using one.

Bottled and Drinking: Wheat beer with smoked malt, Pub Scout IPA

Primary: Mole-asses Porter

Up Next: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, maybe Apfelwine

Quick Reply