Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing School?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Hibster10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing School?

Trying to turn my homebrewing into a commercially brewing job, I have been tirelessly searching for good reputable schools to go to to learn more before I started applying for jobs, something nice to put on my resume as well. I have stumbled across Brewlab in the UK, and Niagara College in Ontario. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these schools?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You forgot probably the best brewing program in the world at Wheinstephaner: http://www.studienfakultaet.de/ But it is also the most difficult. There is also Seibel: www.siebelinstitute.com/ And UC Davis: extension.ucdavis.edu/brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Desertups
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

American brewer's guild

Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 805

I'm jealous. It takes money, and even more importantly TIME to go through those programs, but they do look awesome!

I'll have to settle for my PhD in HBT ;-)

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
mtk6006
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I tried to apply at local brewery and i basicly got laughed at. They are not friendly and the funny part is my beer kicks their ass! When it turns into a job its not fun anymore i learned that the hard way in a few fields. Its sad but true. .... just keep on doing what your doing and maybe get noticed.things like this find you.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #6
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What I basically found is that there are 3 ways to get into being a pro brewer. 1. Getting hired at a local brewery and start from an entry level position, cleaning, kegging, packaging etc. Usually low paying jobs most people don't want then move your way up by staying there. 2. Go to a brewing school and actually earn either a degree or a certificate then get hired at a small brewery not making a whole lot of money either as an apprentice brewer or a brewmaster. 3. Open your own brewery. There are basically 2 main business models for this. Small and large depending on barrel capacity. Small being under 3-4 barrel (Nano) operation and you selling your product directly through a taproom or restaurant. Large being 7-12+ barrel production and selling in kegs to distributors and bars. There are variations of these but this is the basic idea of most small breweries.

hope this helps.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
Hibster10
Recipes 

Thank you for all your help and great advise everyone I really appreciate it. Help like this is exactly what I have been looking for, I feel like I have been running around blind for awhile trying to figure out where I should go and how to get there. It is a lot harder than I originally thought. At the end of the three month course at the brewlab in the uk they award you with a "brewlab diploma" do you think that is something that would be recognized in the US? I researched http://www.studienfakultaet.de/</a> and it looks awesome, my only concern would be the language barrier.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
LiamMur
Recipes 

Hey there, I know this is a bit late in the discussion but i decided to give back seeing as how i searched forums to research which brew school to take. I'm currently taking Intensive Brewing Science and Engineering course for working brewers at the American Brewers Guild and I LOVE it! I am currently a brewer and came from a homebrewing background so I already knew quite a bit about brewing. When choosing a school I wanted to get the most in depth and comprehensive program for cost (obviously) so I chose this course because A: it was 6 months long so compared to the siebel 3 month course I assumed it was twice as in depth. Siebel offers a 6 month one as well but my co-worker took the 3 month one and i saw his text book and it was really basic. I personally thought it looked like crap so i wasn't going to give them the benefit of the doubt with the 6 month course. I also know someone who did the brewlab program and didn't enjoy it that much (not in depth enough and parts felt like filler). This course rocks so far. I'm a month in and have learned tons! Very science (chemistry mostly) oriented. I'm doing distance learning so all the lectures are dvd's which is awesome!! If you have the interest and the motivation to spend basically all your free time learning you can get so much out of this course. The reason I like the distance learning is because you can take as detailed of notes as you want because you can pause and rewind. It's tricky at times but it's enjoyable if your a beer nerd. I find myself saying "oh my god that's why that happens!?" a lot. Unfortunately if your not a working brewer you need a post secondary chem, bio or engineering background. I think just one course they will accept

Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
BonzoAPD
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamMur
Hey there, I know this is a bit late in the discussion but i decided to give back seeing as how i searched forums to research which brew school to take. I'm currently taking Intensive Brewing Science and Engineering course for working brewers at the American Brewers Guild and I LOVE it! I am currently a brewer and came from a homebrewing background so I already knew quite a bit about brewing. When choosing a school I wanted to get the most in depth and comprehensive program for cost (obviously) so I chose this course because A: it was 6 months long so compared to the siebel 3 month course I assumed it was twice as in depth. Siebel offers a 6 month one as well but my co-worker took the 3 month one and i saw his text book and it was really basic. I personally thought it looked like crap so i wasn't going to give them the benefit of the doubt with the 6 month course. I also know someone who did the brewlab program and didn't enjoy it that much (not in depth enough and parts felt like filler). This course rocks so far. I'm a month in and have learned tons! Very science (chemistry mostly) oriented. I'm doing distance learning so all the lectures are dvd's which is awesome!! If you have the interest and the motivation to spend basically all your free time learning you can get so much out of this course. The reason I like the distance learning is because you can take as detailed of notes as you want because you can pause and rewind. It's tricky at times but it's enjoyable if your a beer nerd. I find myself saying "oh my god that's why that happens!?" a lot. Unfortunately if your not a working brewer you need a post secondary chem, bio or engineering background. I think just one course they will accept
How much is the course?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoAPD View Post
How much is the course?
Next available class is January 2015 and costs $7,250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Quick Reply