The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing on a Sailboat....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 02:03 PM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I wouldn't limit yourself to kit and kilo kits like coopers, you may be dissapointed, they may not store well, they may get boring for you etc.

If you are going to do this I think you should be able to do all types of brewing, based on the available ingredients...That means being able to make great beer with kit and kilos, extract with grain kits, but also be able to brew Ag as well....That way you can be open to whatever ingredients you may stumble upon.

If you are sticking with 2.5 gallon batches, you can get up to 14 pounds of grain in a 5 gallon cooler with a basic SS braid, obviously more with a 10 gallon cooler.

And you can boil down to 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, especially if you use foam control.

That way if you come across malted grains on your travels, you will know what to do with them.

Also I know you are asking about carboys and buckets...I think for your situation, where space will be an issue, the best options may be the 3 gallon better bottle.

The nice thing is their square size and you can fit several in a small space...I don't know if you can tell by this pic, but I could easily put one in front of the other and ferment about 6 in the rubbermade bin I use as my swamp cooler.

Another option, both as small fermenters and airtight storage for grain, and extract are Gamma Plastics Vittles Vaults available through Petsmart. They are food grade, stackable, come in various sizes, and have an airtight locking lid...

Many people drill a hole, add a gromett and slap an airlock on for a fermenter.

Last edited by Revvy; 12-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #22
zstewart123

Recipes 

I was thinking you should do an IPA. Should try to find an original recipe. If it worked for the Brits going to India, it should work going to the Med.

Zak
Swamp Water Brewing Co.

"Life is like a mustard burp, momentarily tangy and then forgotten in the air "

Primary : German Pilsner, Bitburger clone
Secondary : empty
Keg 1 : Star Spangled Lager
Keg 2 : Dim Wit
Keg 3 : Honey Brown Lager
Bottled:Edworts Apfelwein

Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #23
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I won't claim to be an expert brewer or sailor but I dabble in both. If it were me I would look at using the 6L tap-a draft system for dispensing. Similar to party pigs but co2 will be easier to find than the expansion packs. A 6L bottle won't take up much more cooler space than a 6pack of bottles and you can have a few of them unrefrigerated waiting to go. Also reduces the number of offline bottles you need to keep around waiting for the next batch.

You might not have great luck with a swamp cooler for temps given the humidity on-board and I would not want more water than needed open on board. If that doesn't bother you in these quantities you may need to look at a recirculating water / cooler option but it will burn though some ice. Given the conditions I might only cool the wort for a few days to get you through most of the ester production period. One of the wall mounted fermentors might be an interesting thought with a gimbal mount but would limit cooling options...

I'd be really tempted to go with hopped lme so you can reduce fuel consumption on boils and then add DME and aroma hops when you need to. Vacuum seal your hops...

Look for lower gravity beers that need fewer ingredients and less maturation time so you don't have a long pipeline. If you want to do AG then find some good SMaSH recipes for simplicity and economy of space (not so many different containers.) Finding malted barley in far-flung ports may be challenging.

Lastly I would do my brewing in port (especially a full boil) when possible so as not to deal with the large pot of hot liquid on the sea. No boil kits might work best for an extended stay on the water. Consider ciders and meads as a supplement to your beers since they are so easy and require little equipment.

-Craig

Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

craigd, Thanks for the heads up on the tap-a-draft system. It's definitely interesting. Even just storing beer in the 6L PET bottles for later bottling may be an idea.

Revvy, I agree the system should be as versitile as possible. That's definitely my goal. I want to be able to do partial mashes, stovetop grain ala DeathBeer. I don't want to limit myself to coopers kits at all as I KNOW I'll get bored with them soon. I've brewed enough to know how fun it is. Ideally though the system should be able to utilize the kits as one option because they may be all that's available. BTW Revvy, what's a "a 5 gallon cooler with a basic SS braid"?

So how does this sound for a system?

1x 5gal bucket (or SS cooler?) w tap. Will can act as a fermenter for a cooper's or other 5gal kit, a sparge bucket for AG/Partial, a sanitizing bucket for equipment, and storage for the stuff not in use.

I could also use it as a cooling bucket for wart chilling a 3gal BB by filling it with sea-water and immersing the BB in the bucket of water. I'd then open the tap at the bottom and let water flow out while continuing to add seawater (via my washdown pump and hose) to the top of the bucket.

1 (or more) 3gal better bottles for primary fermenters. These will act as the size I will normally brew with using AG, Partial etc. Nice size for 1/2 recipes.

Pet bottles and perhaps some Tap-A-keg bottles for storage and carbing. Can I sugar carb in a 6L PET bottle? Should work yeah?

BrewOnBoard

PS Right now I post when onboard through high speed residential WiFi. I'm docked in port now. In the future I'll use Ham radio which can be hooked into the internet and internet cafes. They're everywhere now, I once used one in India with ants crawling across the keyboard.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #25
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I like your line of thinking BoB. Basically with limited space, your items will need to have multiple uses. Your cooling method definately has potential as well.

You can definately carbonate in PET bottles. Either larger ones, or bottle in regular size soda bottles.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #26
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Here's the link to the cooler with braid, which becomes your mash ton...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

I have a five gallon becasue I live in a loft without a lot of storage space, it holds between 12-14# of grain and water, which works fine for 2.5 gallon ag batches.
But obviously if youi have the space for the 10 gallon, it would be more versatile.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #27
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you find barley, or most any other grains for that matter in other countries, they have to be malted. Just plain old barley does you no good.

Oh and I'll be your brewmaster, if I can sail with you

Old 12-10-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Here's the link to the cooler with braid, which becomes your mash ton...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

I have a five gallon becasue I live in a loft without a lot of storage space, it holds between 12-14# of grain and water, which works fine for 2.5 gallon ag batches.
But obviously if youi have the space for the 10 gallon, it would be more versatile.
That's another idea. The cooler's insulation may help with temperature variations too. Perhaps that's better than a bucket for my purposes. Only problem is that I don't see a 6gal so I wouldn't be able to use it as a primary for a 5gal batch/kit.

BTW Revvy thanks for answering my soon to be asked question, which was how big of a kettle/sparge tub will I need for a 2.5gal AG batch.

Keep the ideas coming! This may end up becoming a really nice little system!
BrewOnBoard

Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #29
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I wonder if you'd want to filter, since it would be hard to get sediment to settle out if it's always being rocked back and forth.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply