*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Safety... bumped carboy leads to surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
LTownLiquorPig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Had never worried about anything with a glass carboy except dumping in liquid that was too warm for it. I probably should though. I'm an idiot, so I lug mine all over the house for little to no reason. I have it in a milk crate, but I take it out to wash it in the tub, etc...

Incidentally, I'm in the process of losing a toenail because I dropped an empty plastic pail on it. Go figure.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Ironically, I don't think any of the Brewing Safety products that MidWest had on that page would have prevented Andy's accident.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #23
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The two glass carboys that came with my original kit now sit gathering dust on the back of a basement table. I used one about a year and a half ago to bulk age a barleywine. That's it- right now, I'm fermenting a batch of apfelwein, but it's in a Better Bottle. It's just not worth it to mess around with glass, when there are better options available.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTownLiquorPig View Post
Had never worried about anything with a glass carboy except dumping in liquid that was too warm for it. I probably should though. I'm an idiot, so I lug mine all over the house for little to no reason. I have it in a milk crate, but I take it out to wash it in the tub, etc...

Incidentally, I'm in the process of losing a toenail because I dropped an empty plastic pail on it. Go figure.
That's why I use glass carboys.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
That's why I use glass carboys.
Yeah, if it was a carboy instead of a pail, you wouldn't have to worry about the toenail, since you'd probably not have a toe anymore!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #26
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
Ironically, I don't think any of the Brewing Safety products that MidWest had on that page would have prevented Andy's accident.
Think duct taping a Carboy would make it a bit safer? I'm thinking four horizontal and three vertical lines of tape. I have six glass fermentors and will likely continue using them for a while.

I like to watch.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #27
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post
Think duct taping a Carboy would make it a bit safer? I'm thinking four horizontal and three vertical lines of tape. I have six glass fermentors and will likely continue using them for a while.

I like to watch.
Possibly, I know that gallon bottles of laboratory-grade acid come in plastic coated bottles. The idea is if it comes crashing to the ground it will stay semi-contained for cleanup, and also to prevent splatter.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
carter840
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTheHick View Post

I like to watch.
This sounds like a great idea. I am thinking about taping mine up with gorilla brand duct tape. I'm sure it would at least help a little. Maybe someone wants to do a test? I certainly can't afford breaking my glass carboy, but if someone has a partially broken one or something?

This story really does get me concerned.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
dmfa200
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You'll never see that happen with stainless [sanke] fermenters (breaking and needing surgery to repair hand)... If you drop ANY full fermenter on your foot, it's going to hurt. At least with sanke fermenters, there's no risk of the handle(s) breaking on you. They also have two handles built to make it even easier. Plus, the handles are thick enough to not dig into your hands when you're carrying a full fermenter around.
It amazes me how so many people ignored Golddiggie's post about Sanke kegs as fermenters.

They are the best thing since sliced bread.

I use the 1/4 barrel(7.75 gallon) Sankes for five gallon batches.

Easy to clean, hard to scratch, unbreakable!

I don't know what you said, but your wrong.

Quick Reply