Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Safety... bumped carboy leads to surgery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
markmc40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts View Post
That's it, I'm getting a brew hauler, unless someone can tell me where to get a milk crate.

For my current batch, I carried the carboy from outside, down the stairs and into the basement. Basement got too cold so I carried it up into the den. SWMBO didn't approve, so I carried it into the closet. I've been pushing my luck.
I just got mine and it is like night and day carrying that thing around. I was always worried about the throat or the carboy snapping off trying to use the carboy handles they make. I plan on leaving the brew hauler on when cleaning also, when it gets really slippery.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I accidently knocked over an empty 6-gal glass carboy, and man, that thing exploded. I sold all of the rest of my glass ones and replaced them with the 5- and 6-gal plastic carboys that morebeer sells. Love them. Just not worth the risk with my 5-year-old son in the house.

The thing I don't like about the plastic carboys is how they can flex and draw in liquid from the airlock so I went to Walmart and bought 6 milk crates for ~$20.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #13
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I started with glass, but didn't like the extra weight and the risk of breakage. Switched to better bottles and never looked back.

I still have my glass though. I'm going to start doing sours soon, and think I'll have to go back to glass for the extended aging I'll need with the sours. Not looking forward to using glass again to be honest.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #14
Balto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Here's the picture from the email I recieved. Didn't look good to me. It really makes you think.

brew_safety_andy_h_1.jpg  

Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You'll never see that happen with stainless [sanke] fermenters (breaking and needing surgery to repair hand)... If you drop ANY full fermenter on your foot, it's going to hurt. At least with sanke fermenters, there's no risk of the handle(s) breaking on you. They also have two handles built to make it even easier. Plus, the handles are thick enough to not dig into your hands when you're carrying a full fermenter around.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I love my glass carboys but every time I hear a horror story it makes me wonder. I do have brew haulers on both of mine though and I can't praise them enough. I love 'em. The only thing to watch is that they are properly aligned before you grab the handles and go but generally once you get them in place they stay there. Mine only come off as the last part of cleaning then the carboy goes upside down on one of those stand things and it gets put right back on.

I only move them full once... they get filled with wort (gravity feed) then right there they get measured, oxygenated and the yeast is pitched. Then I pick them up and they go about twenty feet then up and over into a chest freezer ferm chamber. I wouldn't dream of doing that move without the brew hauler. With it I am comfortable though as they are stable and even if I did hit something by accident and shatter it it is hanging below my hands and away from my body. At most I would get wet and pissed but not cut up.

After fermentation I use very low CO2 to push the beer into a keg. If by some crazy fluke the thing exploded from the CO2 (can't see it as the hose would pop loose long before that) it would be completely enclosed in the chest freezer. Again a huge mess but relatively safe injury wise.

I've thought about it and minimzed the risks but even then a huge glass bottle does kind of scare me. The only thing is I am a big fan of stainless/glass and not a big fan of plastics/synthetics or any type which is the main reason I haven't tried a bucket yet.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #17
FightingBob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just bought a brewhauler last week and it came in the mail today! Thank goodness.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #18
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 806 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Would the brew Hauler work on a 3 gallon glass carboy?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:06 AM   #19
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

I've never handled a 3 gallon carboy. Just thinking out loud though I would think it would be too small to fit in the brew hauler. I mean the belt is adjustable but the sling part isn't.

Is a 3 gallon carboy short and squat or tall and thin? If it is as tall as a 6 gal then maybe it would work. If it was short though the sling would be too deep for it to sit securely in it I would think.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #20
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 806 Times on 559 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

The 3 gallon looks like a 6 gallon just shrunk (shrank?) proportionally. Looking at the pictures from the OP, I was thinking along the same lines that it might slip through. The 3 gallon, of course, isn't so heavy but glass does get kinda slippery. I'll have to remove my carb handle from my 6 gallon and see if it would fit the three (I think probably not). In the mean time, I'll just be a little more careful after seeing with pic of Andy.

Quick Reply