The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I like to wait till I'm chilling the wort or when I'm all done for the day. I prefer to keep my mind on what I'm doing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearKnowBeer View Post
Yes i did, that is when i realized many of my errors. I just wish i would have read, but i was a little giddy. I mean we had 4-5 beers, had a grill going in the background, a turkey fryer (fire), a big pot of future beer cooking. Little things like warming the extract, hydrating the yeast, we sterilized the cook pot (then as it was cooking i was like, hmm wonder if the boiling water means we wasted our wash), i mean instead of pouring we siphoned the beer out after cooling. I read 'pouring' and i was like sh*t that would have been easier.. For a college educated son of a shop owner i thought i would have more common sense. I have rebuilt motors, hydraulic cylinders, but did not think that boiling water would sterilize a pot. I had fun, if its drinkable it will be better, if it is drinkable and tastes good even better yet.

Ever since i brewed that little extract kit i was like, i am going buy grain and do this. I have been scouring for recipes, and reading like crazy. Hopefully it goes well..
I would probably recommend doing at least a few more extract recipes to get your technique down as far as the boil goes. It can go a long way because when you're going All-Grain you're giving yourself more things that can go wrong. Might as well practice while you can. Enthusiasm is great though, hopefully if you go AG your effort is rewarded.

If those were your mistakes, you didn't make any too bad. I don't rehydrate my dried yeast, I know a lot of people don't. It can be beneficial if done right, but I don't know how to do that so I just do what the package says, add it to the fermenter. As far as sterilizing your pot, that's just wasted time, you learn those things as you go on. I used to have all kinds of time wasters and beer wasters. I'm now a bottle filling machine but when I started I took too long and spilled a healthy amount of wort on the floor. Now I'm much faster and much less wasteful.

Keep brewing keep learning and you'll get better. I can't believe the mistakes I made on my early batches and they were probably much more grievous than yours. Heck my second batch blew up on me.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #13
FearKnowBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post

Keep brewing keep learning and you'll get better. I can't believe the mistakes I made on my early batches and they were probably much more grievous than yours. Heck my second batch blew up on me.
Okay, i gotta ask, how did you blow up a batch?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Most likely the airlock clogged & blew the lid off. Had that happen once...& I had a blow off rigged.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearKnowBeer View Post
Okay, i gotta ask, how did you blow up a batch?
Had a bad kit that had some extra LME and no Irish Moss. So I thought the Priming Sugar was Irish Moss and the LME was the Priming sugar since I heard you can use DME as priming sugar I thought it was fine. Anyway. Bottle were blowing up.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Most likely the airlock clogged & blew the lid off. Had that happen once...& I had a blow off rigged.
No that happened with my 1 Gal batch, but I expected it. I was going to open ferment but I wanted to have it closed til the yeast started, and the yeast didn't get going until the middle of the night. So blech.

Quick Reply