BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing my first next weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
MasterShake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing my first next weekend

Hey guys,

I am going to try and brew my first ever home brew batch next weekend. I have read a lot and do understand what it entails. I do hope some of you can help me out as I go along.

First I am looking to brew a simple recipe, I am not looking for a great beer..if my first batch comes out drinkable I'll be excited. My goals are to get a drinkable good beer that I can share with my friends and family. I am not sure what a simple and yet good recipe is.

I have a two fears in brewing. The most intimidating is sanitizing, I want to get this part right, but I don't want to have any off flavors. What are some good sanitizing solutions that are no-rinse and wont produce any weird flavors.

Another problem I have is fermentation chilling. It is always hot in my apt and I am looking at buying a chest freezer and converting it, are there any other good options for this? I want to be able to fit atleast 2 5 gal buckets in my chiller.

I hope you guys can help me out with my first brew !

* i know this is a subjective topic, so any suggestions to get me started in the right direction is good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
First I am looking to brew a simple recipe, I am not looking for a great beer..if my first batch comes out drinkable I'll be excited. My goals are to get a drinkable good beer that I can share with my friends and family. I am not sure what a simple and yet good recipe is.
a Heffeweizen is a good first beer, you don't have the step of steeping grains, and it prefers the warmer tempratures (70's)
or a Saison which will thrive in the 80's
there are lots of great recipes here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

Quote:
I have a two fears in brewing. The most intimidating is sanitizing, I want to get this part right, but I don't want to have any off flavors. What are some good sanitizing solutions that are no-rinse and wont produce any weird flavors.
Sanitize with StarSan, it works GREAT and you will not have any off flavors

Quote:
Another problem I have is fermentation chilling. It is always hot in my apt and I am looking at buying a chest freezer and converting it, are there any other good options for this? I want to be able to fit atleast 2 5 gal buckets in my chiller.
Swam cooler!
Find something that will fit 1 or 2 fermenters, fill with water to just below the Wort, throw a tshirt over the fermenter and point a fan at it. Add a frozen 20oz bottle of water every couple hours for even cooler fermentation. You only need to do the ice for the first week.
This method will get you a 7-10deg difference

Old 08-11-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
Swam cooler!
Find something that will fit 1 or 2 fermenters, fill with water to just below the Wort, throw a tshirt over the fermenter and point a fan at it. Add a frozen 20oz bottle of water every couple hours for even cooler fermentation. You only need to do the ice for the first week.
This method will get you a 7-10deg difference
Thanks for your advice, I will look into a swamp cooler. The only problem is i have a 9-5 job and cant change frozen water bottles every couple of hours...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, I will look into a swamp cooler. The only problem is i have a 9-5 job and cant change frozen water bottles every couple of hours...
I use 1gal apple juice bottles leftover from making Apfelwein also, they take several hours to melt. You could swap those out 3X a day. with a Saison or Wizen, you aren't going to add ice anyways, or it would be too cold.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
I use 1gal apple juice bottles leftover from making Apfelwein also, they take several hours to melt. You could swap those out 3X a day. with a Saison or Wizen, you aren't going to add ice anyways, or it would be too cold.
I've been looking into maybe building Mother of Fermentation Chiller...

Old 08-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 849 Posts
Likes Given: 497

One step at a time, padawan.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
One step at a time, padawan.
Thank you. I am just worried about keeping the right temp's its 97 outside

Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 PM   #8
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Thank you. I am just worried about keeping the right temp's its 97 outside
Then brew a Saison and just don't worry about it. Brew stuff thats more temperature dependent in a couple months when it starts getting cooler.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on the swamp cooler. I live in Southern Georgia, and it pretty hot and humid outside - I have a stout I brewed last week, and the swamp cooler is keeping it in range (granted, its on the higher end of the spectrum - 70s not 60s, but it works).

Furry Friend Brewery

Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Then brew a Saison and just don't worry about it. Brew stuff thats more temperature dependent in a couple months when it starts getting cooler.
I decided to brew a Saison, will get my kit from Northern Brewer soon. Thanks for your suggestion.

Quick Reply