New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing my first batch, quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
cjalderman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Brewing my first batch, quick question

Alright guys so I received a 1 gallon brew kit from Craftabrew.com (the American Pale Ale) for my birthday recently and brewed it last Saturday afternoon and have been keeping a close eye on it since then. Everything went well with the brew and I don't believe I did anything wrong as I had a high level of fermentation on Sunday morning. By high I mean bubbles were coming out of the airlock tube around every 7-10 seconds (I didn't measure the interval). But it was bubbling a lot so I feel as though my primary so far is a success, right?

So here are my questions,
1) My airlock has two long cracks running down the majority of one side of the middle piece, and the tops of the cracks are above the water line. Should I buy another air lock?
2) I have water with a small amount of unscented bleach in the air lock right now, should this be replaced with pure water or vodka?

Hopefully these aren't too nooby of questions, but I want to make sure my first batch comes out right. On to the pictures, both of these were taken today (2-5-13).

I put the carboy in the water to lower the temp as it was up around 72 F after two days up fermenting under my sink. Now its down between 68-70 F so I feel safer haha.

Also, are these bubbles in the airlock a problem? Thanks for your help guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

I see drips on the bottom in front,so it looks to mee like that crack is running to thr bottom out to the edge. I go to the lhbs a grab a couple more. They're cheep enough that I keep a hand full handy.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

1. Get a new airlock
2. Get rid of the bleach in there-bad juju..just use cheap Vodka, even plain water is better than bleach!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
dcocch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's not uncommon for some of the liquid in the airlock to get sucked back into the beer. That's why many use vodka or star san. Get rid of the bleach. Yuck.

Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
musikguru6
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcocch View Post
It's not uncommon for some of the liquid in the airlock to get sucked back into the beer. That's why many use vodka or star san. Get rid of the bleach. Yuck.
This. Bleach doesn't get anywhere near my wort or beer. Star San is great - turns into a yeast nutrient if it gets into the beer. Vodka = slight ABV boost.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 565 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikguru6 View Post
This. Bleach doesn't get anywhere near my wort or beer. Star San is great - turns into a yeast nutrient if it gets into the beer. Vodka = slight ABV boost.

+1. Star-San is your brewing best friend. Keep some in a spray bottle. When in doubt, use it.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
Dmlsys23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd

+1. Star-San is your brewing best friend. Keep some in a spray bottle. When in doubt, use it.
Absolutely agreed. It's great for when you realize you forgot to sanitize your stirring spoon or your measuring cups. Only on my second batch now but I'm so glad I learned this tip early on!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
pjkutah12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed in regards to using StarSan in your airlocks. I would also buy a new airlock. They are only a few bucks. I would not be concerned with infections as you are pretty far along in fermentation, it sounds like, but you don't want the bleach to get into your beer. Not sure what yeast strain came with your kit but I am assuming it was Wyeast 1056/WLP 001/Safale 05. Try and keep your fermentation temps below 70 degrees with these strains, especially within the first few days of fermentation. Add ice and salt to your bowl to try and keep the temps down. These yeasts tend to produce fusel alcohols above 70. Good luck and keep plugging away. There is so much to learn.

Quick Reply