Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > brewing my first batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
masterchief1112
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewing my first batch

this is my first batch i have been around brewing for a while and understand it for the most part. it will be a extract brew(cant wait to get to all grain) American Pale ale kit by brewers best. Im changing the recipe a bit from the directions. I put it all in to beersmith and it said my bittering would be a little bit low. the recipe calls for a 2.5gal boil, anything wrong with boosting that to a 3gal boil takes the ibu's from a 35 to a 38.9. i know this is my first batch and im already experimenting, but if i have the ability why shouldnt it oh the the the bitterness ratio is .784 with the 3 gal boil, ps beersmith is awesome, will have to purchase this when the trial is up. tried the free one that worked on mac and it sucked, whipped out my netbook and got beersmith, man i knew i would find a good use for a pc one day BREW COMPUTER!!!! a buddy and i are undertaking the brewing together, makes things cheaper for the both of us as we want to get to all grain asap, this site is awesome and i went from having no idea about all grain to having a good understanding of how to do it, but first things furst lets get the first few batches under our belts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Totally do the larger boil. Bigger boil = better hop utilization. I at a minimum do a 3 gallon boil. If my stove didn't suck so much, I would do full boils.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
masterchief1112
Recipes 

i have a 4 gallon pot so 3 is all i feel safe using, also how long should i leave it in the fermenter? i was figuring 10-14 days, i know its after ferment finishes but how long after that? then how long in the bottle i was figuring 3 weeks or would 2 be suficient.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Longer is better. Slower is better. Three weeks primary, three weeks bottle conditioning minimums.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchief1112 View Post
i have a 4 gallon pot so 3 is all i feel safe using, also how long should i leave it in the fermenter? i was figuring 10-14 days, i know its after ferment finishes but how long after that? then how long in the bottle i was figuring 3 weeks or would 2 be suficient.
That usually depends on the brewer. But there is always the 1-2-3 thumbrule. 1 week primary, two weeks secondary, three weeks bottle conditioning. This is assuming you plan to use a secondary fermenter. Just remember to take your gravities to check if fermentation is complete.

Personally, I usually do 7-10 days primary and then a month in the secondary.

Good luck to you and your brew. Its a fun and addictive hobby. Cheers!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
PassionBeer
Recipes 

I'll just echo what others have said. Do as high volume of a boil as you can, just ensure to adjust your recipe accordingly. Also, personally, I normally do 2-3 weeks in the primary and at least 2 weeks in the secondary for clearing. To each his own.

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Planning: Berliner Weisse, Citra Pale Ale

Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongCoastBrewery View Post
That usually depends on the brewer. But there is always the 1-2-3 thumbrule. 1 week primary, two weeks secondary, three weeks bottle conditioning. This is assuming you plan to use a secondary fermenter. Just remember to take your gravities to check if fermentation is complete.

Personally, I usually do 7-10 days primary and then a month in the secondary.

Good luck to you and your brew. Its a fun and addictive hobby. Cheers!

The 1-2-3 is an older rule, but still works if that's what you want to do.

many, many of us now just leave it in the primary for 4 weeks (or more), then bottle and leave it 3 weeks.

Temperature Control is also important. Pitch your yeast lower than 75F, and keep it at 65F if you can (assuming ales), at least for the first week. There are many methods for that - from temp control on an old fridge to swamp coolers or other ice-chest rigs.

good luck!

Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
masterchief1112
Recipes 

my basement is a consistent 63-66 degrees almost all year. its a little warmer today so its up to maybe 65 right now it will get down to 60 sometimes. only a primary planned for this one. may pickup a carboy is a 5 gal carboy sufficient or should i go 6.5 for secondary

Old 10-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
WrongCoastBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchief1112 View Post
my basement is a consistent 63-66 degrees almost all year. its a little warmer today so its up to maybe 65 right now it will get down to 60 sometimes. only a primary planned for this one. may pickup a carboy is a 5 gal carboy sufficient or should i go 6.5 for secondary

If you are using the carboy for a secondary, go with the 5 gal size. Helps to keep the oxygen out of it. If for a primary, go with the 6.5gal.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Welcome to a wonderful obsession!

I know "rules of thumb" are very useful when starting out, but keep in mind that every brew is different. I have a Big Hefe that is just now beginning to settle down after an active fermentation that lasted two and a half weeks. It went from an OG of 1.064 to 1.010; I have had other brews finish much earlier. Rely on your measurements and above all else, patience for the best result.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Quick Reply