Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing a Green Tea Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #21
cassj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph131 View Post
I read a micro brew in I think Wisconsin started brewing a green tea ale and they utilized 500 grams per 50 gallon batches.
Do you know which micro-brew? One of us could probably call them up or shoot them an email with some questions.

My experience is that most micro-brews are willing to share their recipe with home brewers. At the very least they would probably give us some tips on brewing this particular beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
C4PNJ4ZZ
Recipes 

What's up North shore brewer, I'm in Beverly.

You should head up to gloucester and talk to the guys at Fisherman's. They do a Barley Wine with tea called "Boston Tea Party". I think it might be on tap now.

I want to try this if you end up doing it.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #23
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassj View Post
Do you know which micro-brew? One of us could probably call them up or shoot them an email with some questions.

My experience is that most micro-brews are willing to share their recipe with home brewers. At the very least they would probably give us some tips on brewing this particular beer.

It is called Blue Creek the beer is a zen ale.Google it and you'll find some articles on it. I really want to try this did you have any suggestions for the recipe I posted?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #24
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
It is called Blue Creek the beer is a zen ale.Google it and you'll find some articles on it. I really want to try this did you have any suggestions for the recipe I posted?
My only thought about the recipe (sounds delicious BTW) is to not boil the green tea. I would do it just after flame out, after the wort has cooled to 170F to 180F. This will still sanitize the tea, and you won't extract the bitter off-flavors release from the tea because of boiling. When you boil green tea, you're effectively cooking it, not steeping it, and you should try to avoid that.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 PM   #25
daveooph
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
My only thought about the recipe (sounds delicious BTW) is to not boil the green tea. I would do it just after flame out, after the wort has cooled to 170F to 180F. This will still sanitize the tea, and you won't extract the bitter off-flavors release from the tea because of boiling. When you boil green tea, you're effectively cooking it, not steeping it, and you should try to avoid that.
Ok thanks....now last thing, I had one more thought. What about brewing a pint or so of really strong green tea, add a little honey, and then rack beer on top once your ready for secondary fermentation. I think this could work better than adding tea pre-fermentation, what do you think?

Also, I may add simcoe hops instead of cascade.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph View Post
Ok thanks....now last thing, I had one more thought. What about brewing a pint or so of really strong green tea, add a little honey, and then rack beer on top once your ready for secondary fermentation. I think this could work better than adding tea pre-fermentation, what do you think?

What's the honey for? You'd end up causing more yeast to be bred to try and eat it, which would cloud-up your secondary. The point of secondary is to clear and add flavors that wouldn't stand up to fermentation.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #27
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveooph View Post

The advantage to this method is that it'll allow you to have better control over the amount of green tea flavor you have. Start with less than you think is necessary, rack on top of it, then taste it. You can then add more green tea if you think it needs more.

I'm not sure what the honey is for, but there are plenty of threads on here regarding how to add a honey flavor to your brew if that's what you're going for, but I'm sure you knew that already.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #28
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
What's the honey for? You'd end up causing more yeast to be bred to try and eat it, which would cloud-up your secondary. The point of secondary is to clear and add flavors that wouldn't stand up to fermentation.
I just like honey and thought it could compliment this brew....

Also, sorry I met to say I would add the honey to the actual boil of the wort.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #29
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
I just like honey and thought it could compliment this brew....

Also, sorry I met to say I would add the honey to the actual boil of the wort.
You shouldn't really boil honey either. The best time to add it is either at flame-out or just prior to pitching, depending on who you ask.

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #30
mc_eric
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegh View Post
You shouldn't really boil honey either. The best time to add it is either at flame-out or just prior to pitching, depending on who you ask.
I've never heard that before, actually. For what it's worth, I've always just added honey during the last 5 minutes of the boil, and those beers turned out great.

Why shouldn't you boil honey? Does it boil off some of the flavor or something?

Quick Reply