Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing First Batch Next Weekend

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
josephjdaniel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing First Batch Next Weekend

I am brewing my first batch of beer next weekend. I am pretty excited to get started but had a question before I brew. I received the Brewers Best Double IPA ingredient kit as a gift along with my brew kit. Is there any added difficulty to brewing something like a double IPA with no experience? Should I go out and buy something easier to start and come back to this kit after a few batches? It is on the expensive side and don't want it to go to waste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Those kits come with instructions right? Follow them without deviating and youll be fine - at this stage, the most important thing is learning about the process and sanitation really - and get ready for at least 3 replies telling you to brew whatever you like the taste of - its what home brewing is all about!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
josephjdaniel
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. It comes with instructions and I picked up the Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I've read the beginners chapter a few time which seems to has some great info on the process.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Heck yeah brew it!! As mentioned prior just follow the instructions! I made my first AG IIPA today . Cheers!

Do yourself a favor and just let it do its thing... those yeast are some bada$$ critters and they will do there magic. My first brew I think I slept by my fermenter lol I was so worried about it... good luck

Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
HighCountryBrewer
Recipes 

And above all else...............Learn to BE PATIENT

Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 112

go for it. my first all grain batch was an IIPA (pliny) that i opened the first bottle of yesterday, and its stellar. As others have said, follow the instructions, be diligent in sanitation... you'll be fine.

Oh, one thing to ignore in the instructions, they're gonna tell you to transfer to a secondary. I wouldn't bother. Leave it in primary for a week after its done fermenting (some will tell you longer) and bottle. No need to transfer to secondary.

Does the kit have you dry hop? If not, I would read up on dry hopping and consider doing that. I have a hard time even fathoming making an IIPA without dry hopping.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A few things to remember:
1. Patience, patience, patience
2. Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize
3. Your instructions that came with the kit probably say that it will be ready to bottle in a week. Don't. Let it sit for 2-3 weeks, then transfer to a bottling bucket and bottle it up
4. Patience, patience, patience
5. It's really hard to mess up your beer. It might: be cloudy, smell different then you imagine, taste different than you expect, you might forget to do a step, might drop something in the wort, any number of things. Don't freak out, you'll end up with a beer you're proud of
6. Relax Don't Worry Have A HomeBrew (RDWHAHB), or your favorite commercial brew

And most importantly:
PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE

Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
TrueNorth
Recipes 

Brew it! No question.

My $.02 = take notes - not just what you did but what you wish you had done and what would have made you brew day easier (equipment, preparation, etc.).

And, of course, as hard as it is, once it in the fermenter, forget about it for at least a week.

BTW - every time I pick up that book, I'm glad I did.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:32 AM   #9
TrueNorth
Recipes 

...and refer to Motleybrew's ^^^ #5 - that's what it's all about!

Old 08-20-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
josephjdaniel
Recipes 

Thanks for all the advice! It does include dry hopping. Everything I have read says to transfer to the secondary then dry hop. Is that correct?

Quick Reply