BREWING EMERGENCY!!! Need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus09

Reaction score
Hi,

Sooo... bottomline is that I am a moron. I am in the process of bottling and accidentally put .75 lbs of priming sugar in, instead of .75 cups. I have yet to bottle, it is currently sitting in my bottling bucket. Is this going to cause bottle bombs? Any idea what to do? My thinking is to put it back in my fermenting bucket for a couple days and start over.

Frankly, that's what I'd do. Well, rather, I wouldn't bother putting back in the other bucket. If your bottling bucket has a lid, I'd just leave what you've got in there for a couple few days, then add the appropriate amount of sugar (dissolved in water, then gently stirred in) and bottle as normal. You'll just end up with a higher ABV than expected.

I've only done a few brews so far myself, but that sounds like what I would be doing. But if you've already attenuated all the way, you might need to pitch another pack of yeast to help break all that sugar down. Man is that gonna be one sweeeeeet beer!

Good luck:)

yes 3/4lb. of sugar will cause ALL your bottles to explode. yikes. just carefully rack the beer back into a clean sanitized carboy and let it sit for another week and try again.

Sorry, I'm not giving you any moron points. That would require actually bottling and having them explode.

I've only done a few brews so far myself, but that sounds like what I would be doing. But if you've already attenuated all the way, you might need to pitch another pack of yeast to help break all that sugar down. Man is that gonna be one sweeeeeet beer!

Pitching more yeast isn't neccessary. The yeast that were going to ferment the corn sugar to carbonate (had he added the correct amt.) will happily ferment it and release it to the atmosphere. If anything, the extra sugar will boost his ABV a bit...

if that's my beer, I'd let that sugar ferment out completely then come back and bottle with the proper amount of priming sugar in a week or so.

Damn... Will do. Bummer I was hoping to get it ready for Christmas. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

If it makes you feel any better, it probably would not have been fully carbed by Xmas anyway...at least I could never get beer bottle carbed in two weeks...three weeks seems more the norm

I appreciate all the responses. It is back in my carboy for a while. I am probably going to wait at least till this weekend to bottle. 4-5 days seem like a long enough time?

HYDROMETER, grasshopper.

take a new reading now! take one in 4-5 days, and another and another - until they're the same for 3 days.
none of us KNOW if it will be done in 4-5 days (temps, yeast viability, etc)

Oh, by the way WELCOME to HBT !!!

If that is a figure of speech and you mean it figuratively in that it will have a higher alcohol content then you are correct.

If on the other hand you mean it literally and think the beer will have a sweet taste then you are wrong. Adding a large amount of sugar will make a drier tasting beer due to the increase alcohol content

Damn... Will do. Bummer I was hoping to get it ready for Christmas. Doesn't look like that is going to happen.

lol it should be fermented out in 3 days or so. You simply added a little more than twice as much as you were suppose to. No big deal.

Back