Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing a Double IPA - Double the yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
airmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing a Double IPA - Double the yeast?

Hey Guys,
I'm relatively new to home brewing and I'm going to try my hand at brewing a double IPA (high gravity) beer. Anyway, I had a question about whether or not to use two packets of dry yeast instead of just one as usual. I will be using Nottingham 11gr packets and it's for a typical 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Yes, it's a good idea to increase the pitch when brewing over 1.060.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmike View Post
Hey Guys,
I'm relatively new to home brewing and I'm going to try my hand at brewing a double IPA (high gravity) beer. Anyway, I had a question about whether or not to use two packets of dry yeast instead of just one as usual. I will be using Nottingham 11gr packets and it's for a typical 5 gallon batch.

Thanks for your help in advance!
air mike check out the pitch rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com, plug in your numbers and it'll tell you exactly what you're looking for! Also reference Fred Dujour's webpage www.beerdujour.com and read the 'Brewing High Gravity Beer' article. Both of these should provide all the basic info you need and a inform you beyond the basics. Good luck.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
airmike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
air mike check out the pitch rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com, plug in your numbers and it'll tell you exactly what you're looking for! Also reference Fred Dujour's webpage www.beerdujour.com and read the 'Brewing High Gravity Beer' article. Both of these should provide all the basic info you need and a inform you beyond the basics. Good luck.

Schlante,
Phillip
Thank you very much for the links! Now I'm off to get reading!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
airmike
Recipes 

Ok, so I'm estimating my OG to be around 1.070. According to the calculator, I would need approximately 1.2 packets of 11gram yeast. I think I'm going to go with 1.5 packets unless someone else suggests otherwise.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2035 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I often pitch 2 packets even when it's not that big of a beer. I'd rather be a little over than a little under.

Quick Reply