Brewing a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweitzer22

Reaction score
Hey guys been on the forums for a long time, first post. I decided I wanted to try a Dawson's Kriek lambic kit. I've seen a lot of good reviews but a lot of different ways to brew it. It seems like some people follow the directions given and others don't. My question was, do I need to rack into a secondary after two weeks? The directions say to add the puree and rack on top of that. I was wondering if after two weeks if I could just add the puree to the primary and let it just sit 9-12 months. Also if I'm using a 6.5 gallon carboy do I need a blow off hose for this. I just mopped my ceiling from an imperial and don't want these beasties getting everywhere. Thanks peeps.

Because of the extended aging, you will want to rack off out of primary onto the the puree once you have gone through primary fermentation. If you don't, after a couple of months your yeast will eventually go through autolysis, causing off flavors. You could use a blow off tube, but a normal 3-piece airlock should suffice. You also might want to consider transferring to a tertiary after you gone through fermenting in the secondary, again to avoid autolysis.

Back