Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing cost

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
Yeah, but you're Rich, Brewer.
Trust me when I say it's in name only...

Cheers,
Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #12
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Saving money by going AG is one of the great misnomers of homebrewing since your need for new equipment on a continual basis goes up exponentially! Now, when are pH meters going to become more affordable...
Not for me. When I did extract brewing it was costing me $40 to $50 Cdn to brew 5 gallons, now I'm less than $20 Cdn per brew. Say I spent an extra $150 to get my mash tun outfitted and to buy a porkert mill (everything else like turkey frier etc I had anyway) I figure I'm in money or awful close to it.

And it is hard to buy this kind of fun.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 12-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I've probably invested about two hundred bucks in gear to go AG. Would have been more if BostonBrewin' wasn't such a great guy and sent me a keg to convert. But, between the parts to convert that, the mash tun, the burner, deposit on a propane tank, the chiller... yeah, about $200.

I figure now, I can make a batch of beer for, eh, about $20. About ten bucks for the base grain (assuming I'm using nine pounds or so). Another three or four for specialty grains. A couple bags of hops at $2.50 a pop. Dry yeast.

Extract, the HBS sells three-pound bags of DME for $15 (yeah, I know, a ripoff). Two of those, plus three or four bucks of specialty grains, plus hops, plus the yeast, about $40 bucks.

So, unless I go absolutely ape**** in buying MORE gear, that's about a ten-batch payback period. The only other *big* piece of equipment on the list is a grain mill, and the only real cost to that is paying Yuri to machine me up a couple roller mills. That'll pay for itself by letting me buy bulk grain.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #14
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I went to AG including burner, keg, hot water heater and mash tun for less then £70.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #15
jezter6
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

AG is definately worth it. My last brew cost $22 USD including $6 for yeast, and bagged hops by the ounce.

I've bought some mail order hops at 0.85/oz. so that should cut down the next batch a about $3, and if I save my yeast I could save another $6. Heck, once you're down to $13/5 gal batch...you see it is MUCH cheaper than the $35 kits, and it's a ton more fun. Now, I went kinda nuts and bought a full AG setup on Ebay for $300, but I have more than enough equipment to brew 10 gallon all grain batches. No need to go up that high unless you really want to get into 10 gallon batches.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:57 PM   #16
Bigfoot99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
There are a lot of variables when it comes to the cost of going all grain so it's kind of an individual thing.
I can tell you what I save between grain and malt extract with each batch.
I buy my base malt (American 2 row) in a 55 pound sack. It costs me about 30 dollars or roughly 55 cents per pound. I use about 9 pounds or so in a batch. I don't buy specialty grains in bulk so figure about 2 pounds average at 1.50 per pound.
RichBrewer, where are you getting your bulk grain at? What part of Colorado are you in?

Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 AM   #17
UTDoug
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interestingly (or maybe not) while studying for my finance final I used risk-neutral probabilities to determine the net present value of going all-grain. I considered that I'm a new brewer and said there was a 20% chance I'd do only 5 more batches and an 80% chance I'd do 40 batches before work kills the fun, and then used the $7 or so cost savings per batch, and in the end did I think the project was only worth $20 or something. Plus there is the cost of storage, and if you're married your significant other will probably decide they need something else for their hobby too so you can double all your costs.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #18
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDoug
Interestingly (or maybe not) while studying for my finance final I used risk-neutral probabilities to determine the net present value of going all-grain. I considered that I'm a new brewer and said there was a 20% chance I'd do only 5 more batches and an 80% chance I'd do 40 batches before work kills the fun, and then used the $7 or so cost savings per batch, and in the end did I think the project was only worth $20 or something. Plus there is the cost of storage, and if you're married your significant other will probably decide they need something else for their hobby too so you can double all your costs.
So, if I understand correctly, your calculations show that by going all-grain, you will only save $20? (is this for the lifespan of equipment, annual, each batch, what?)

I think you are right about the storage. I live in an apartment, so that, itself, deters me from taking the plunge.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:33 AM   #19
dcbrewmeister
Recipes 

Did he ever say what he is brewing with?

Unless you have a place to keep it where it won't spoil before you use it, or if you brew say nearly every weekend, keep buying the kits. Chances are you will brew many different kits. If you start buying grain in bulk, are you going to brew the same recipe or recipes that use the same grains to use up your bulk purchase before it goes bad? Grain doesn't stay good forever.

If your brewing with extract, keep buying kits. You will either end up with a 55gal drum in your closet, or a bunch of little plastic jugs with extract sitting around the house waiting for what?

DME is probably the easiest to take car of, but why have a bunch of it waiting around to get wet or have the bag break?

If your just starting out with brewing, you have plenty of time for this hobby to go awry - don't rush it. Just wait until you are building a shack in the back just to brew in like me

Old 12-19-2006, 12:44 AM   #20
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDoug
, and if you're married your significant other will probably decide they need something else for their hobby too so you can double all your costs.
Ain't that the truth!

Quick Reply