Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing cost

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
cphair16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing cost

I’m wondering what is the most economical way to purchase brewing ingredients. Is it more cost effective to get a kit or will I save money buying the ingredients separate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
desiderata

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

From my experience, it works out to be about the same if you buy the ingredients in a kit or individually. Advantage of not using a kit is the freedom to alter the recipe a bit, easier, anyway. However, if you buy items in bulk, you can save a bit. For example, 55 lbs. of DME, hops by the lb., Corn Sugar by the pound. Also, it will save money if you learn how to harvest your yeast (liquid only).

Going all-grain is supposedly significantly cheaper (in the long run), not including initial equipment and labor.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Going all grain and buying in bulk will save money in the very long run, since you'll have to figure in a mill and storage containers.

Yeast harvesting is a relatively easy first step.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Going all grain and buying in bulk will save money in the very long run, since you'll have to figure in a mill and storage containers.

True, AG is the way to go to save the most money if you brew and drink/share a lot.

Does anyone know the ROI (Return on Investment) cost for say going AG and brewing 100 gal per year? How many batches do you have to brew to pay for all the equipment you have to buy?

FWIW, this is a serious question...anyone?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
True, AG is the way to go to save the most money if you brew and drink/share a lot.

Does anyone know the ROI (Return on Investment) cost for say going AG and brewing 100 gal per year? How many batches do you have to brew to pay for all the equipment you have to buy?

FWIW, this is a serious question...anyone?
There are a lot of variables when it comes to the cost of going all grain so it's kind of an individual thing.
I can tell you what I save between grain and malt extract with each batch.
I buy my base malt (American 2 row) in a 55 pound sack. It costs me about 30 dollars or roughly 55 cents per pound. I use about 9 pounds or so in a batch. I don't buy specialty grains in bulk so figure about 2 pounds average at 1.50 per pound.
On grains alone I'm spending about 8 dollars or so. The equivalent in malt extract would be approximately 14 to 18 dollars depending on how much you use and if you use dry verses liquid extract. I'm guessing I'm saving about 6 or 7 dollars per batch.
Folks who brew extract check my numbers. I haven't purchased much extract lately and I could be off.
I honestly don't think I will ever pay off my AG equipment with the savings but brewing cheaper wasn't my primary reason for going AG. I love the hobby and the capability of having more control over my beers was worth the investment.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK, I wasn't really referring to the price of grain and extract...I meant the price of the full-fledged brewing equipment racks and boil kettles/kegs a lot of these guys have been displaying...and they look great BTW.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Saving money by going AG is one of the great misnomers of homebrewing since your need for new equipment on a continual basis goes up exponentially! Now, when are pH meters going to become more affordable...

Old 12-17-2006, 05:06 AM   #8
Beerhead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42

I was wondering about this, I know that there are hundreds of forums about yeast harvesting, but how much is it really gonna save me? Also, are there any risks like contamination, etc. that come with harvesting? If so, it seems to me, that at my time in brewing it would just be worth the peace of mind to spend the extra couple bucks.

"I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!"

Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 AM   #9
gauthierk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The biggest expense that I have been able to save on is the salvage of yeast, freezing/storing and purchase stuff in bulk... You go online and even at a homebrew shop, it's less money to buy stuff for three brews at a time... AG is the best way go with harvesting yeast... BUT, you have to look at it this way... When you brew your own beer, your brewing HQ stuff... At a store you would pay "sometimes" $10 for a 4 pack of gooooooooooood beer.... For between $30 to $50, your making 5 gallons...

Old 12-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #10
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrewer
There are a lot of variables when it comes to the cost of going all grain so it's kind of an individual thing.
I can tell you what I save between grain and malt extract with each batch.
I buy my base malt (American 2 row) in a 55 pound sack. It costs me about 30 dollars or roughly 55 cents per pound. I use about 9 pounds or so in a batch. I don't buy specialty grains in bulk so figure about 2 pounds average at 1.50 per pound.
On grains alone I'm spending about 8 dollars or so. The equivalent in malt extract would be approximately 14 to 18 dollars depending on how much you use and if you use dry verses liquid extract. I'm guessing I'm saving about 6 or 7 dollars per batch.
Folks who brew extract check my numbers. I haven't purchased much extract lately and I could be off.
I honestly don't think I will ever pay off my AG equipment with the savings but brewing cheaper wasn't my primary reason for going AG. I love the hobby and the capability of having more control over my beers was worth the investment.
Yeah, but you're Rich, Brewer.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,