HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing Coopers American Ale with dark brown sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
lonniecl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewing Coopers American Ale with dark brown sugar

Hi Guys,

I wanted to get a batch of beer going today and bought a Coopers American Ale with one pound of dme not sure what I was thinking, but it wasnt enough Malt Extract my Gravity reading was way to low. So I went to the store and bought some dark brown sugar and put it into the brew. Im nervous on how its going to turn out. What do you guys think? Happy Brewing all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This was a kit? With 1 lb of fermentables? What is the batch size? What other ingredients were there? I'm nervous too.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
NavySur4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm guessing that the kit included the 1.7 kg can of prehopped malt extract. Then just add the 1 lb of DME, some water, and pitch the yeast. Coopers usually makes 23 L ~ 5 imperial gallons.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
mlanoue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well, it'll taste different, due to the brown sugar--but that depends on how much you put in. It won't be bad, but you'll probably notice a little molasses flavor if you added a lot.

Now, I gotta say that I've made several Cooper's kits and just added 1 lb. of DME, because I was trying to brew something fairly light in alcohol. They do come out fine. You probably would have been satisfied with just the 1 lb, unless you really wanted the higher alcohol.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
danlad
Recipes 

Ages ago did a kit with an extra 500g dme and 500g brown sugar. Came out a nice sort of light ale that people really liked at a homebrew party I threw. It'll turn out a good drinkable brew I'd say!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Still nervous

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey guys I made a coopers dark ale with brown sugar. It turned out unreal - tasted amazing. Here is a little video i made with the recipe and also a taste test. Enjoy the video and if you have any coopers questions feel free to ask - cheers!

Quick Reply