Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing and bottling at the same time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Brewer_Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Brewing and bottling at the same time?

I currently do extract brewing and I have gotten to the point where my brew day is about 3 ½ hours, including cleaning/sanitizing. I am also trying to get to where I brew every weekend and have about four fermenters going at a time. I primary for a month and do no secondary. As you know, much of that brew time is spent waiting as water/wort boils. So with my planned brewing schedule I will eventually have beer coming ready to bottle every weekend.

To make better use of the brewing time I would like to bottle one batch while I am brewing the new one. My kitchen is big enough. Any logistical problems in doing this that I might be overlooking? Do any of you do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

no issue as long as you don't get involved in bottling and miss hop additions.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I would suggest making a written time line to follow. It's easy to forget or miss something if you are distracted.

You also need to be careful with the dust from the milled grain around you finished beer. It contains mold spores and other nasties that could infect your beer during the bottling process.

As always, sanitation is critical.

Bull

Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The first thing that springs to mind is boilover. They seem to only happen when I get distracted and look away for just a moment. That's why I started using FermcapS, which has been working great. If you're not using any kind of foam control, I'd say concentrate on one thing at a time.

The only other thing that comes to mind is mid-boil hop additions. But missing your time by a minute or less, while you finish capping a couple of bottles, isn't going to have any noticeable effect on your beer.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 11-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Fermcap-S is the gift of the beer fairy.

We bottled and brewed this weekend, and it was no prob with the Fermcap-S.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
Brewer_Bob
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The iPhone is great for multiple alarms so I don’t forget anything. And I had completely forgotten about boilovers. I will definitely look into using Fermcap-S. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

are you doing this by yourself or do you have some help? I have a couple of brew buddies that come over and we have our procedures down pretty good. A few weeks back we did a 12g batch and an 18g batch at the same time. We've also brewed and bottled in the same day. I don't think I'd want to do those projects solo, much easier with a couple Friends and a good system down

Old 11-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Brewer_Bob
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjunior View Post
are you doing this by yourself or do you have some help? I have a couple of brew buddies that come over and we have our procedures down pretty good. A few weeks back we did a 12g batch and an 18g batch at the same time. We've also brewed and bottled in the same day. I don't think I'd want to do those projects solo, much easier with a couple Friends and a good system down
Yeah, going solo right now. But now that they have tasted the results a few people here seem interested in learning how to do it themselves. My wife is eager to help as she really enjoys the final product as well. But she usually has her hands full with the kids, the youngest of which is a 1 year-old. The youngest is also the reason I am just doing extract for now. I am lucky SWMBO doesn’t make me feel guilty about taking 3-4 hours every Saturday to brew. Not sure she would be as understanding with 8 hours. Not at least until the youngest is old enough to entertain himself for longer stretches of time.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I also am brewing every weekend . I usually bottle Fri night and brew either Sat or Sun. I tried doing both same day (first bottle, then brew) and it made for a pretty long day.

As far as bottling while heating the brew water. . .if you think it will work for you, give it a try. For me, I want my brewing days to be relaxed & stress free. I really enjoy the details of brewing and I think I'd feel a bit manic trying to juggle both together. But it sounds like your goal is to bring it to as efficient a process as possible. Give it a go!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #10
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer_Bob View Post
Yeah, going solo right now. But now that they have tasted the results a few people here seem interested in learning how to do it themselves. My wife is eager to help as she really enjoys the final product as well. But she usually has her hands full with the kids, the youngest of which is a 1 year-old. The youngest is also the reason I am just doing extract for now. I am lucky SWMBO doesn’t make me feel guilty about taking 3-4 hours every Saturday to brew. Not sure she would be as understanding with 8 hours. Not at least until the youngest is old enough to entertain himself for longer stretches of time.
if your good at multi tasking give it a whirl! I find that using kitchen timers for hop additions and such makes things a bit easier, especially if your "sampling" prior batches

Quick Reply