Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing beer without malt AKA Maltless Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #21
Xier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Here are the photographs! Tell me what you think of the crystal emulators.

Neo-Crystal Light:
lightcrystal.jpg

Neo-Crystal Dark:
darkcrystal.jpg

Neo-Malt:
neomalting.jpg

Haha, that last photograph is of the black rice, barley and wheat. They have been fermenting nicely. I took a spoonful out and gave it a taste, very sweet and delicious. They taste like candy.

The light Neo-Crystal has a strange taste that it is hard for me to put a finger on. It is a bit nutty but that is not the word that I would use to describe it.

The dark Neo-Crystal tastes like toffee. The original sweetness of it decreased significantly during baking. It is also fairly tart, I would imagine that is from the lactic acid that was produced by the Rhizopus.

I have decided to do this first brew with a muslin cloth and BIAB methodology. Initially, the boil will include the sweet-wort along with orange zest and hopefully the coriander if I can find it today.

That will then be inoculated with yoghurt bacterium and allowed to ferment for a few days. Afterwards, a hop-tea and the yeast will be added. I figure that this will benefit the brew by allowing the sour bacterium cultures to work without the hops present for some time before being exposed.

Wish me luck, brothers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #22
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1700 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 698

This is absolutely fascinating! Good luck and keep us posted!

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
Prohank
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And then you wonder you can't get anyone to try Your new beer. Right

Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #24
TheEndlessObsession
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome! Although I can't imagine trying something like this myself, it's great to see someone try something both unique (in the beer world) and traditional at the same time. Good luck! Hope it turns out great!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
Xier
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So, I am mashing as I type this message. The brew is very dark but seems to have inherited its colours from the grains and not the black rice. When I first soaked the grains, the drain-off was a dark purple hue. I guess the majority of purple pigment was washed away at that time. I will do it differently next time.

The taste of the wort thus far is very pleasant, but I feel that it is a bit soy-sauce-like. I don't mean that in any over-whelming way, it is just that to me the smell seems similar. I asked my wife and she says that maltose is the main thing that she smells, she didn't pick up on any soy character.

She is on the way to the store to buy the oranges, right now. For this 2.5 gallon batch, how much peel should I add by weight? I want to capture a witbier-esque taste.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
Xier
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Mashing and boiling are complete! The soy taste disappeared and was replaced with a rich chocolatey taste, like brownies.

I added 50 grams of tiny orange-like things that they eat here. I have no idea what they are, but they had a nice bitter and zesty orange taste. They are so small that I did not bother to remove them from their skins. Besides, the insides were just as bitter as the outs!

I also added 10 grams of a turmeric and coriander powdered-spice mix.

It is all cooling at the moment. I utilized a 90 minute boil to cut down on any DMS, which may not be of concern when considering how this was produced.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #27
Xier
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Well, I have pitched the bacteria. It was a mixture of Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Streptococcus thermophilus and Bifidobacterium.

gettingfunky.jpg

I will let this go for a few days and then pitch the yeast and hop tea.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #28
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1700 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 698

Hmmmm...not educated in the production of yogurt. I didn't realize that a streptococcus strain was used in yogurt. I saw that and did a double take, considering that I immediately associated it with strep throat.

Up Next: Bluebird Bitter Clone v3.0, Scottish 60/-, Rye American Pale Ale
Primary: Robust Porter, Kitchen Sink Brown Porter, Bluebird Bitter Clone v2.0
Souring: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Brett. C. Old Ale, Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter, Wild Cider
Polypins: Dark Mild
Bottled: English Cider, Belgian IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Malt Liquor
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #29
fredthecat
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 95

if youre doing this is a test to see if it works why make it such a kitchen sink recipe? it makes it a lot harder to pin down any faults. im assuming you mean you added cumquats (little orange things)? turmeric and coriander?

Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
Machalel
Recipes 

wow, this is just... wow!

It's like some sort of mad scientist mash-up between east and west! Crazy town!
Super keen to hear what happens with this one, even though it's unlikely that I'll ever taste or brew anything like it.

Quick Reply