Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing beer in Istanbul? (First all-grain beer)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
oipivo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I.....I can't believe that I didn't know about that brewery. I work 5 minutes from it. I'm going there tonight to drown myself in delicious microbrews. It would be the perfect place to meet up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
istanbira
Recipes 

Hello All.

Yes! I was at the BBC last sunday for their sunday roast. It was great! Good beer / food and I met some great new people. I've been brewing for about a year and a half here in Istanbul, fun, tasty, but yes, a bit lonely

Phil, the owner and brewer, and i have been talking for a while about making a home brewer's club, hosted at the brewery where we can also test new recipes and learn from each other and Phil. We'll be starting in the new year. I'll let you all know soon.

In the mean time, please visit the BBC. You won't know where you are! (in a good way)

Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
tarikapak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was there last night, for the second time. I didn't have the chance to meet Phil, by the time I got there, he was inside, washing the dishes. But I met the son, Tristan.

Hey istanbira, where do you get your grains?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
benjawin
Recipes 

Default Keeping the dream alive...

Anyone still around and brewing in Istanbul?

I'm relatively new to Turkey and completely new to brewing, but I love good beer and I'm up for a challenging project...

Before stumbling across this discussion, Yabangee was my most promising source of information about getting started.

I'm wondering if there's been any developments in the home brewing scene in Istanbul since this thread was last active?

Any chance that someone has put together a kit for sale in Turkey by now? Should ask around at Bosphorous Brew Co.?

I think I can cobble together the hardware I need, but I'm curious about the cheapest/easiest way to get ingredients.

Thanks in advance for any help... Cheers, Ben

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
istanbira
Recipes 

Hi Ben,

There is not any way I've found to get the ingredients in Istanbul. I bring EVERYTHING with me from the States, or from Europe if I'm there. Just now brought in enough for two more batches. Not the best way, but the only way! Beats drinking Efes

I have one other friend that is brewing in Istanbul as well. He made a beer at the BBC using Phil's test batch set-up. He had a little party there when his beer went on tap....of course we drank it all that night. Was super tasty and a lot of fun. I don't know if he's going to do more of that or not. Do contact him though in any case - one of the goals of the BBC was to create a community of brewers in Istanbul, despite its challenges!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
tarikapak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Phil helps me out with the barley. I order the hops and yeast from brouwland.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #27
benjawin
Recipes 

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestions and the solidarity -- and sorry for the slow response. I'm in a village near Marmaris until the end of the month (with limited internet access) but will definitely look up Phil at BBC when I get back. Glad to know I'm not alone at least. Thanks again!

Old 08-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
benbr
Recipes 

Hi,

So I'm living in Istanbul and recently bought a kit from Germany. My only problem now is sourcing brew equipment such as a pressure barrel. Does anyone know of any neighbourhoods in Istanbul where I might be able to find things that I could make do with? Maybe even catering equipment they use to make ayran?

Thanks

Ben

Old 08-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #29
istanbira
Recipes 

Hi Ben,

I don't know where you would get one....I bottle my beer. Dolapdere maybe? Its the kitchen supply area, so maybe. Phil would know.

-J

Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #30
tarikapak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Hi Ben!

If you mean kegs, there is nowhere in İstanbul that sells one. You might try your luck with a cafe or restaurant that serves premix soda, but its a long shot.

Quick Reply