Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing in a bag in a cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
jwalk4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Brewing in a bag in a cooler

Okay, I know this is unconventional, and might get shot down. But what if someone were to do their mash inside of a bag inside of a cooler?

Just put your double crushed grain inside of a bag, or two, or three; then add your strike water to a cooler, and lie your grain bags down inside the water. Mash for 60 mins, agitating the bags every now and then. After 60 mins; lift, squeeze the bags, and empty the wort from the cooler into the kettle. Put the grain in the bags back in the cooler, and sparge with 170F water. Lift and squeeze the bags, empty sparge water into kettle.

It uses the BIAB principle, but also uses the heat insulation of the cooler to hold mash temps.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Fermenter 1 - Mynx and Maple's Too Wild Mild
Fermenter 2 - 2 Hearted Clone
Bottle conditioning - Nothing
Drinking - Aged Porter, APA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
rhinoceroceros
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is how I always brew, but I do partial mash so I just use a grain sock but I have never had a problem with it. The only difference is I pour the water over the grain and agitate to ensure all the grain is wet, then have hot water ready to add in case the temp drops

Old 10-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lots of people have tried it.

However, you are eliminating the main benefit of BIAB - simplicity. Grain, bag, pot = done.

If you are going to buy (and store) a cooler, you may as well get a few plumbing fittings and batch sparge.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yes, that's basically how I partial mash. I just put all my grain in a large bag inside an unmodified 3 gallon beverage cooler and pour in my strike water- about half at first, then stir/mix, then pour in the rest. Then dunk a couple of times just to make sure the water gets between the bag and the side of the cooler, put the lid on and let it do its thing. The cooler holds temp quite well for an hour- no need to take the lid off and agitate the bag, you'll only lose heat that way. And I don't squeeze the bag, just let it drip. I can do about 6 pounds of grain with this method.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is how I do my all grain brewing. 5 gallon cooler and a big bag. Basically I'm substituting the bag for a false bottom. Works well, but the temperature drops more quickly than I'd like if I have less than 7 lbs of grain.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
jwalk4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Lots of people have tried it.

However, you are eliminating the main benefit of BIAB - simplicity. Grain, bag, pot = done.

If you are going to buy (and store) a cooler, you may as well get a few plumbing fittings and batch sparge.
I agree that the method somewhat complicates the BIAB process, but "Grain, bag, pot" = no sparge; and therefore, lower efficiency on average. I would also need a stainless steel pot big enough to hold my grain, and my water at once. A costly venture indeed.

I guess I could just go traditional batch sparge in a cooler MLT, just seeing what else is out there though.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
jwalk4
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Damage View Post
This is how I do my all grain brewing. 5 gallon cooler and a big bag. Basically I'm substituting the bag for a false bottom. Works well, but the temperature drops more quickly than I'd like if I have less than 7 lbs of grain.
What size of batches do you brew?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 305 Posts

Quote:
It uses the BIAB principle, but also uses the heat insulation of the cooler to hold mash temps.
Like someone else stated, I would say that the main "principle" of BIAB is the single vessel. By adding a bag to a traditional mash tun in a three-vessel configuration, you are hardly following the BIAB method.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Quick Reply