Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing with babies

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
mdawson9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Brewing with babies

Got your attention? My wife and I brought home kids 3 and 4 about 6 weeks ago. Trying to figure out how to keep the pipeline going with very limited time. I have adopted the no chill method (only waiting 4 hours or so and still use immersion chiller). My question is, can I steep the night before and do the boil in the morning.
That would help a lot. Any other ideas?
And I'm an all extract plus grains brewer.
Thanks !

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes you can. No worries about the boogie man because it goes into the boil.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
dcarter
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 10

You should be fine steeping the night before. You only need to worry about infection after the boil.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 10-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts

Bot so fast!

Grain has a lot of bacteria on it, and if you don't heat it up above a certain temperature (I'm not sure what it is) and kill the bacteria, the bacteria can go crazy in the nice warm incubator you have made for it, making lots of undesirable products; one that comes to mind is Lactbacilluis which is often used to sour beers like Berliner Weisse, and is one of the souring organisms in Lambics..

After steeping raise the temp until about to boil, cover and leave alone and you should be good.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder
Bot so fast!

Grain has a lot of bacteria on it, and if you don't heat it up above a certain temperature (I'm not sure what it is) and kill the bacteria, the bacteria can go crazy in the nice warm incubator you have made for it, making lots of undesirable products; one that comes to mind is Lactbacilluis which is often used to sour beers like Berliner Weisse, and is one of the souring organisms in Lambics..

After steeping raise the temp until about to boil, cover and leave alone and you should be good.
I would do that but the first thing I will be doing in the morning is add water and boil. You are saying that this wouldn't kill the bad by products right?

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Lagering:

Old 10-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
billl
Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Alternatively, you can just toss the steeping grains in cold water in the morning. In the time it takes to go from room temp to 170 on the stove, you just steep away. Just pull them before you hit 170 and you are fine. You gotta bring the water up to temp anyway, so it doesn't add any time to you brewday.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl
Alternatively, you can just toss the steeping grains in cold water in the morning. In the time it takes to go from room temp to 170 on the stove, you just steep away. Just pull them before you hit 170 and you are fine. You gotta bring the water up to temp anyway, so it doesn't add any time to you brewday.
That's what I have been doing but I'm having issues with bland/lack of malt flavor. I was planning to really steep at 155 for a full 30 minutes and sparge to see if that helps.

Lagering:

Old 10-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Make sure you use a lot of rice hulls so the babies don't gum up the mash.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdawson9 View Post
I would do that but the first thing I will be doing in the morning is add water and boil. You are saying that this wouldn't kill the bad by products right?
If you don't raise the temperature after steeping, the lactobacillus will start creating lactic acid. Boiling will kill the Lactobacillus, but will not drive off any acid it may have created in the mean time. If you leave the wort overnight (between steeping and brewing) and don't kill the lactobacillus (and other bacteria), any by-products they create will become part of the final product.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
mdawson9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder

If you don't raise the temperature after steeping, the lactobacillus will start creating lactic acid. Boiling will kill the Lactobacillus, but will not drive off any acid it may have created in the mean time. If you leave the wort overnight (between steeping and brewing) and don't kill the lactobacillus (and other bacteria), any by-products they create will become part of the final product.
Got it. Thanks! I raised the temp up to just under boiling (200 ish), turned the heat off and covered.

Lagering:

Quick Reply