Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > brewing with apples

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
paul7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewing with apples

was thinking of doing an apple hefewiezen or a sour apple wit using extract kits, but im not entirely sure of how/where apple would fit in the brewing process, my UNeducated guess that i would have to peel the apples, slice em up, then mash em up, and toss them into the boil.

someone please correct me on this, i would love some educated insight into how this would be done.

thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

you have to be carefull when boiling fruit. I thought i remember somewhere that you might be extracting some off flavors. You might want to try a search for "boiling fruit".

I used frozen berries in a wheat beer one time. turned out OK but needed a lot to get flavor out (secondary). I also used pumpkin that went into a mash. I've used apples in part of my cider recipe. I peeled the apples, then chopped them up, put them in a food precesser and gave them a couple of pulses. I added it to some water i had boiling on the stove. Once the water was boiling i shut the heat off and added apples at the same instance.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Boiling the apples will cause pectin to be released.. bad idea I think....If you 3want a brew with an apple flavor, look up APPLE GRAF on here. it is REALLY good.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 02-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
paul7
Recipes 

i did the search for "apple graf", and from what i can tell, im thinking that i should brew the hefe or wit and just substitute some of them malt for apple juice or cider.? sounds simple enough-please correct me if i am wrong.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7 View Post
i did the search for "apple graf", and from what i can tell, im thinking that i should brew the hefe or wit and just substitute some of them malt for apple juice or cider.? sounds simple enough-please correct me if i am wrong.
That is what I would do.. base the amounts on how appley ( if that is a word) you want tyhe beer to taste. I would brew say half a batch of beer as normal. cool it to pitching temps then pour in 100% apple juice ( make sure it is 100% juice and has no sorbates in it. Ascorbic acid is fine) to make 5 gallons. Pitch your yeast and ferment as normal.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 02-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
paul7
Recipes 

thanks man!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
RadtasticRix
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure if this helps, but I asked someone about adding fruit and they told me that you should pasteurize fruit instead of boiling because boiling is somehow bad for the flavour. They said to keep the fruit at 160F for 15 or 20 min to kill the nastys..

Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

what about a secondary with sour apples?

slice up and soak in some vodka to sanitize, then add to primary (without the vodka) or rack on top in secondary?

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadtasticRix View Post
I'm not sure if this helps, but I asked someone about adding fruit and they told me that you should pasteurize fruit instead of boiling because boiling is somehow bad for the flavour. They said to keep the fruit at 160F for 15 or 20 min to kill the nastys..
That's way too long at those temps...

The following table provides the temperature vs. time required to achieve sterilization.

Pasteuraization Temperatures:

Temperature (°F/°C)__Time (minutes)

123/51______________470

130/55______________170

135/57______________60

140/60______________22

145/63______________7.5

150/66______________2.8**

155/68______________1.0**

** Extrapolated from logarithmic curve constructed from Townsend's data.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I made an awesome apple wheat last summer. I fermented for 1 week with 1056, then just dropped 4lbs of quartered apples (golden delicious), right into the fermentor. Let that sit for two weeks. Some have questioned my methods, but it worked and made a great beer. I figured once the alcohol had built up after a week, everything would be fine.

Quick Reply