Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > brewing ales with hops loose

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Roopert
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default brewing ales with hops loose

I have been brewing ales for a few months now. Two stouts, one brown ale and a German heff. In my stouts and brown I was instructed by my local homebrew shop to leave hops inside primary, loose...I then do a secondary and it leaves all hops behind....I have heard that many ppl do not secondary a heff...so with loose hops in there, do I just do my best to get the beer out without siphoning hops? Seems trickier than it should be....any tips? Have I been brewing incorrectly by throwing in hops loosely into my wort while boiling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Most hop matter will settle out with the yeast after fermentation, forming trub. If you want to reduce this, you can use a strainer when transferring from your boil kettle. The hops have already done their job and don't really add anything more to the beer in the primary. Otherwise, just rack your hefe gently and most of it should stay at the bottom of the fermenter.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
rbenn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed my Hefe and let all the hops into the Primary. Turned out really good. Just be careful not to disturb the trub when racking into the bottles/keg.

Quick Reply