Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing 10 gallon BIAB in a 10 gallon pot?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Brewing 10 gallon BIAB in a 10 gallon pot?

I'd like to start brewing 10 gallon batches and also switch to BIAB, but I only have a 10 gallon pot. Is it bad to think that I can brew it similar to an extract brew and just add water to get it to the 10 gallon mark (assuming my O.G is correct after the water addition)? Or when you go with AG or BIAB, do you HAVE to do full boils in order to get the correct efficiency? I would mostly still be doing 5 gallon batches, but there are a few that i'd like to switch up to a 10 gallon batch, namely an Oatmeal Stout with a O.G. of 1.057. I should be able to fit all the grains and the majority of the water in there (maybe a 8-9 gallon boil with addition at the 45 minute mark and at the end of the boil) and then just top off with the additional water in the end? I know i'd have to account for boil off as well. Any pointers or if you think I should just skip the idea all together until i get a bigger pot, let me know.

Thanks in advance!
Dennis

I did search here and in the AG/partial mash for water addition and partial boil but didn't come up with much of anything! Sorry if this is a repeat question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Can you do it? Sure.

As you said, you are basically making extract, then doing a partial boil. I would probably do 2 five gallon batches back to back instead, with full-volume, no-sparge BIAB.

FYI, I have a 15 gallon pot, and even that does not really have the capacity to mash a full-volume, no-sparge, BIAB, 10 gallon batch. It's big enough for the boil though, so after mashing I can drain off a few gallons into a bucket, and sparge with a few gallons. My next BIAB system will use a 20 or 25 gallon kettle, lol.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply