The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewhouse kit Mexican cervesca -Adding a lime flavour

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
beiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewhouse kit Mexican cervesca -Adding a lime flavour

Hey all,

Im new to brewing and have been using the Brewhouse kits thus far with great sucess. I am at the point in which I would like to start putting my own watermark on the kits and the idea I had was to add a like flavour to the mexican cervesca kit.

Now Im using only a primary fermenter. It is 48 litres and seems to do an awesome job. My fermenting period seems a little shorter aswell ( about 7-10 days on average)

I've done a fair bit of reading and think that adding a home made lime extract either to the primary right before bottling or to each individual bottle is probably the most efficent way to add a subtle taste of lime to my beer.

My question is:

How can I calculate how much sugar my extract will be adding. I do not what beer champagne when I open my beer on drinking day.

And if anyone else has any useful hints or tips that would be fantastic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would be VERY cautious as i think lime can be easily over done in the finished product. I'm sure most people will tell you to drink your beer and have a lime wedge with it! but if lime in beer is what you want, then i recommend adding the lime extract (sugarless would be best) at bottling to taste.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
beiner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
then i recommend adding the lime extract (sugarless would be best) at bottling to taste.
will this produce enough carbonation?

Aswell thank you for the advice

Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Benjibbad
Recipes 

if you use sugar less it will not restart the fermentation which is where you carbonation comes from. I would also be careful with the lime extracts you use. Some have preservatives which could kill the yeast and cause your beer not to carbonate at all.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
beiner
Recipes 

I was thinking about making my own extract via a lime peel immersion in vodka ( I have the recipee at home, at work currently) So that should take out a lot of the additives.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

There are a few threads on here about using lime, they are usually short lived, because I think other than me, there has only been a hand full who have actually done it. There's a couple threads below in the "similar threads" box. including it looks like one recipe .

I've posted mine a few times. Here's the link to my recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/854185-post9.html

And that is from this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lime...10/#post854185

Which if I recall was mostly conjecture (not many people who actually brewed with lime) a handful of bud bashers, and a couple of us who have had experience. But some decent info.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiner View Post
I was thinking about making my own extract via a lime peel immersion in vodka ( I have the recipee at home, at work currently) So that should take out a lot of the additives.
I'd be interested to hear how this works out. I am toying with the idea of infusing some peels into a "candi syrup" made by boiling lactose and water and steeping the peels in that. I'm thinking that since lactose is a non-fermentable sugar then it might make for a sweeter lime flavor.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
beiner
Recipes 

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pure-Key-Lime-Extract-110089

this is the lime flavour recipee i will be using.

They way I think im going to go about it is to take a glass of my fermented wort, add drops of the lime untill I find a flavour I like and add a teaspoon of dextrose. I know that the lime will have sugar within it, so the suger im adding is totally a guesstimate ( I added 2 teaspoons previously and it was dead on, so Im saying the fruit = 1 the dextrose = 1)

Quick Reply