Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewer's Best Whiskey Barrel Stout - goofed on adding the Whiskey Barrel Chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
BigDaveZJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Brewer's Best Whiskey Barrel Stout - goofed on adding the Whiskey Barrel Chips

This is my 2nd brew, and I didn't read the instructions carefully enough. I added the Whiskey Barrel Chips before pitching the yeast, missed the part about waiting until after primary was done.

How bad will this screw up the beer? I can live with it not adding the flavor as I have some other chips I can use, I just hope it doesn't add some nasty off-flavors.

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
BigDaveZJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I put in primary last night about 5:00PM and it was already putting out a few bubbles this morning, so the yeast is active, but my concern is that the yeast is going to eat the wood chips instead of the sugars. Am I off base on that?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Get the beer off the wood chips as soon as you can -- it only takes a few days for the beer to be fully "oaked" by the chips. Stretch a piece of nylon stocking over your racking cane, secure it with a rubber band and sanitize everything. This will allow you to rack the beer to another bucket/carboy and leave the chips behind. After fermentation is complete you can always add more oak, but overoaked beer is disgusting. Good luck.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
BigDaveZJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The instructions in the kit said to leave the chips in contact with the beer for 3-4 weeks. Is the fermentation process speeding up the oaking process?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd agree with bigbeergeek. Get it off the oak ASAP. I made the Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout from AHS in march and left it on the chips is secondary for not quite 2 weeks. It has been VERY oakey until just the past week.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
BigDaveZJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Would a more coarse filter work? The wood chips are probably 1/4" x 1/4" and I wouldn't want to block any of the yeast or other stuff from making it back into fermentation.

My favorite beer is one I've never had before.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I wouldn't rack off the primary yeast yet. You need to let the yeast do their thing or you risk stalling out high. I'd monitor the fermentation (best with a hydrometer). Once it has stopped dropping gravity for 2-3 days, rack to a secondary vessel and leave the oak chips behind. Hopefully its done fermenting in 1.5 weeks or less. If you have the fermenter space, I'd leave it in secondary for a couple of months.

BTW, how much oak was in the kit? I suppose if this was over an ounce or two of chips, you would be better off risking a stalled ferment and rack it just 4 or 5 days into the fermentation.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
BigDaveZJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's 2.5oz of whiskey barrel chips.

My favorite beer is one I've never had before.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
BigDaveZJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Link to full recipe: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...00715/1025.pdf

9. PITCH YEAST
Sprinkle the contents of the yeast sachet over top of the entire wort surface and stir well with
sanitized spoon or paddle. Firmly secure the lid onto the fermenter. Fill your airlock halfway
with water and gently twist the airlock into the grommeted lid. Move fermenter to a dark,
warm, temperature-stable area (approx. 64º - 72ºF).
FERMENTATION
10. MONITOR & RECORD
The wort will begin to ferment within 24 hours and you will notice CO2 releasing (bubbling) out
of the airlock. Within 4 - 6 days the bubbling will slow down until you see no more CO2 being
released. When fermentation is complete (no bubbles for 48 hours) take a FG reading with a
sanitized hydrometer and record it in your ABV% CALCULATOR9.
Whisky Barrel Chips Aging
11. Add Whisky Barrel Chips
Whisky Barrel Chips must be sanitized by boiling in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes. After your
chips have been sanitized, add to the fermenter, then rack your beer on to them. Firmly secure
your airlock on to your fermenter. Leave your beer in contact with these chips for 3 to 4 weeks.
11 On bottling day carefully siphon your beer away from the chips and into your bottling
bucket. If you do not use a secondary fermenter, then add the chips to your primary after fermentation
has completed and leave for the recommended contact time.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
buttcord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
...my concern is that the yeast is going to eat the wood chips instead of the sugars. Am I off base on that?
Yes, you are off base about that.

I would recommend letting it ride out in the primary for the 3-4 weeks. I think having the oak chips in the primary will, if anything, mellow out the "oakiness" due to a combination of fermentation activity and the settling of the yeast on top of the oak chips. It will be FINE --------> RDWHAHB

Quick Reply