Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewers Best Smoked Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Brewers Best Smoked Porter

Hello All,

Has anyone brewed Brewers Best Smoked Porter, and if so how did you like it? After four weeks in primary and
five weeks in the bottle, mine tastes kind of bland, not much malt character. They're fully carbed, but lacking in flavor and body. As a general rule, do porters take longer to condition? The OG was 1.061, FG was 1.015. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 03:15 AM   #2
headbanger
Recipes 

Liked 705 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 1418

Well, att looks good but w/o seeing the recipe proper and so on it's kinda hard to say... If'n you know what I mean.. so to speak

Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
1ratdog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

pigman, did you do a full or partial boil. how long did you steep, what temp?
i didnt try it yet, but its on my brew calandar. i want to have it ready to go for halloween party.

primary-thomas jefferson ale, cali common, mild ale
secondary-imperial mild, oatmeal stout
bottled- whiskey stout

Old 06-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ratdog View Post
pigman, did you do a full or partial boil. how long did you steep, what temp?
i didnt try it yet, but its on my brew calandar. i want to have it ready to go for halloween party.
Partial boil, steeped for 20 minutes at 155 - 160 as per kit instructions. The fact that you are brewing this in time for Halloween leads me to believe that porters should age for months rather than weeks, despite the fact that it's not a particularly big beer. If that's the case, I'll just put it away for awhile and forget about it. I just broke out the Falconer's Flight Extra IPA from Brewers Best, and that came out fantastic. First time I ever dry hopped.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
1ratdog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN View Post
Partial boil, steeped for 20 minutes at 155 - 160 as per kit instructions. The fact that you are brewing this in time for Halloween leads me to believe that porters should age for months rather than weeks, despite the fact that it's not a particularly big beer. If that's the case, I'll just put it away for awhile and forget about it. I just broke out the Falconer's Flight Extra IPA from Brewers Best, and that came out fantastic. First time I ever dry hopped.
i dont think porters really require alot of aging. id like to give it a month or 2 just so the smoke flavor blends nicely. i will be serving this to bud/miller/coors drinkers. i dont expect them to like it. i will also have a cream ale that seems to somewhat please them in the past.

primary-thomas jefferson ale, cali common, mild ale
secondary-imperial mild, oatmeal stout
bottled- whiskey stout

Old 06-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That's one of the things, I really don't taste the smoke. I'm hoping like you said, that it shows up after more aging. I brewed a cream ale for the same reason as you, it's hard to convert the BMC crowd.

Quick Reply