Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BREWER'S BEST Oktoberfest Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
troutab81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BREWER'S BEST Oktoberfest Question

I have made about 3 "from scratch" batches, with various levels of success. I decided that I wanted to try out a kit to see how good it would be, and so I chose the Oktoberfest kit from Brewer's Best.

I've read through the instructions, and from what I know, the Oktoberfest is a lager, but it has it pretty much listed as fermenting around 70 degrees, which leads me to believe this is an ale type.

Questions is... has anyone tried this? Is it very good if followed by the instructions? Would anyone who has made this make any modifications (fermenting time, temp, etc) that would make it better?

Thanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

What type of yeast is included with it? Chances are it is an ale, and therefore, technically not an Oktoberfest. A real Oktoberfest (lager) would be fermented at ~50°F and then lagered for a couple months at ~33°F. It may or may not turn out to be a good beer, but it won't be an Oktoberfest.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm sure that uses an ale yeast. An Oktoberfest isn't a bad lager to do as an ale. You could buy lager yeast and lager it if you wanted to. Or you could use an ale yeast like Nottingham and ferment around 60 degrees, which is sort of a middle ground position.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
troutab81
Recipes 

Nottingham dry is the yeast. Will be hard to maintain it at 60 as it is getting warmer where I live. Has anyone actually tried this kit and can give feedback?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I'm interested to see what all ends up happening if you ferment it with that ale yeast... I mean, I know what I think will happen, but just genuinely interested...

I'll be watching this thread...

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 04-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
troutab81
Recipes 

I'll report back. I have a crawl space that stays a little cooler. I'll put it in there and let it go for a couple weeks

Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
coffeegod
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

alternativly, you could put your fermenter in a disposable turkey pan, fill with water cover with wet towels and rotate ice packs in and out, that should lower your temp by 8-10 degrees.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

I did that kit about 4 years or so ago. I used the ale yeast, and fermented it at 60-62 degrees. I measure the temperature of the fermenting beer, not the air temperature, so the room temperature was probably a bit less. It came out really good! Not exactly "oktoberfest" to style, but it was a good drinkable beer.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
VonStigler
Recipes 

This kit was my first brew about 4 months ago, it turned out good. I will say it had a bit of an aftertaste after 3 weeks in the bottle, almost salty, but that faded as the beer aged a few more weeks. Definitely one I would do again.
Cheers,
Brian

I m not as druck as sum thinkle peep I m

Old 04-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #10
BornInaHoller
Recipes 

I brewed this kit in January. It is a very drinkable beer. It doesn't really taste like an oktoberfest. However, it was only my second batch and I fermented it on the high end (around 70 degrees) of the temp scale. I recommend what troutab81 said about fermenting it at around 60 degrees.

Bottled: Barack-toberfest, AHS Belgian White, Edwort's Haus Ale, Blood Orange Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, Edwort's Apfelwein, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Yuri Rage's Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale
Kegged: Apfelwein
On Deck: IPA, More Apfelwein

Quick Reply