The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewers best kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
ERASMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewers best kit

I am getting ready to start a brewers best tripel and notice that this calls for 2.5 gallons for water for the making of the wort then once it is in the primary you add water up to 5 gallon. Is this an inferior method of beer making? This will be my second beer kit and my first was a full 5 gallon boil.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

No it's not an "inferior" way of brewing at all, it's actually the MOST COMMON way of brewing around the world. That's how most extract kit instructions go. Because most folks starting out don't have the capability yet for doing full volume boils. That usually comes much later.

Many many many great beers are made on the stovetop.

Brewer's best kits are some of the best beginner kits out there. many of us got started with them.

If you have the capabilities to brew full volume, then do so, but doing it the way the kit says, doesn't mean it will make for a bad beer.

You'll find in this hobby that there really are many different ways to do things, and that "better" or "Worse" are simply best replaced with the idea of what I prefer to do...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
brad97z
Recipes 

If you have the capability to do a full boil with this kit then do it, you'll get better results. The only thing to be careful of, is to make you only steep your specialty grains in 1.5-2qt water per pound of grain. Then after steeping, top off and proceed from there.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
ERASMO
Recipes 

I have the ingredients list for the kit here and it says it only has four ounces of specialty grains. "4 ounces Aromatic"??

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
brad97z
Recipes 

I would just steep them in a small pot on the stove in that case, then transfer over to your main boiling pot and top off.

Quick Reply