Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewers best fermentation question..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
bbell21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewers best fermentation question..

Today marks day 4 of primary fermentation. I did not take an OG reading simply because I forgot. The airlock has slowed dramatically, typically 1 bubble per 30 seconds. The brewers best instructions say if you are racking to a secondary to do it BEFORE fermentation is complete. Would now be a good time to pop open the lid and get a SG reading? FG is suppose to be 1.010-1.014 for this brew. Should I be in that ballpark before racking? Or slightly higher? The instruction says a good rule of thumb is 5-7 days before racking...When do you guys think I should rack and when should I get my first gravity reading? Thanks

Also I used hop pellets so I did not use a muslin sack ,Therefore racking is something I am going to do!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea, check the gravity before you rack. If your close than your good to go.

Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

It is not necessary to rack to secondary, It is best to leave the beer in primary and let the yeast clean up by products and off flavors for 2-3 weeks. I wait till i'm ready to bottle to take gravity readings, and of course drink the sample

Brew On!

OkashiiBrew Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Bramstoker17
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If you havent looked at some of the threads about using a secondary, you might want to. Too me, its usually not worth the hassle unless you're gonna age it. The hop particles should settle to the bottom with time, so that should not be a problem. If you do want to secondary anyway, its my understanding that you should wait till primary fermentation is complete. Id wait at least a week if not more. Patience is key. Hope that helps!

My recipes at Brewtoad:
http://brewtoad.com/users/28920/recipes
My brew blog for my homebrewery, White Pointer Brewery:
http://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
bbell21
Recipes 

A want a really clean beer so from what I understand racking is the best option. I don't want alot of sediment at the bottom of my bottles.

Is it okay to open the lid and take the gravity reading now? My beer will finish fermentation in the secondary. I know its not maybe essential to rack it but I want quality beer and I have a carboy, so why not rack it? Right? I've read alot about oxidation and sanitation so I know to be careful...just wanted to see if anyone else racks before fermentation is complete like the directions say? As I stayed I'm on day 4...any suggestions from brewers who do it like this?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

If you dont want sediment in the bottom of your bottles you better look into kegging and force carbing. Bottle conditioned beer makes its own sediment from the yeast eating the priming sugar so it can produce CO2 for carbing your brew.

Brew On!

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
bbell21
Recipes 

All I'm saying is a secondary would clarify the brew up

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
MikeyPipes86
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbell21
All I'm saying is a secondary would clarify the brew up
Not necessarily...keeping it in primary will still clean your beer up. The yeast will keep working for weeks. You can then cold crash for a few days in primary then rack to a bottling bucket.

This is what I did with my first Brewers Best kit and it turned out clean and clear when bottling.

Secondary if you like, but the advice on here trumps whatever the Brewers Best recipe says. Plus, i turned my secondary 5g carboy into a 2nd primary fermenter now I can brew 2 batches at once. Bonus.

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: Miracle Maker (Irish Honey Red), Lederhosen Lager, Bloodthirsty Wheat (Blood orange Hefeweizen) Freckled Bull (Spotted Cow clone), Amber of My Eye, Zack Attack Blonde Ale

Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
bbell21
Recipes 

Okay I racked it into the secondary tonight and the SG reading was 1.007 projected FG is suppose to be 1.010-1.014 so I think I'll be okay if I leave it in the secondary for another 2 weeks, right?

Also the gravity reading is confusing to me. My hydrometer says it was 1.007 which is not even like 2% ABV, I never took the OG so is there any way I can tell what it's current ABV is? Appreciate the help guys.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
acidrain
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 25

There is no way to calculate ABV using a hydrometer without taking an OG reading.
Next time. There is always next time.
Congratulations, you made beer.

Keg #1: RHESB 6.2
Keg #2: Cascadian Stout
Keg #3: BMC West
Fermenter #1 Bourbon/Oak Vanilla Porter
Bottled: Mjolnir Mead, Lazy Daze Hefe, The Bollocks ESB, Dark Matter stout.

oldstyle69 Likes This 

Quick Reply