New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewers Best California Imperial Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
Ernie3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
The Brewer's Best California Imperial pale kit is my recipe. It is designed to taste just like Arrogant Bastard. It is a good kit if you really like Chinook hops.

L.D. Carlson asked me to create a couple kits for them in the "Bold" series. The Russian Imperial Stout is mine as well. Let me know what you think.

Forrest
I sure will, thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Bump.... just bought this kit on sale at the LHBS. Think Safale US-05 would be better than the included Nottingham? I have the Safale in my fridge...

Old 11-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

If i remember correctly, this one has a full pound of crystal 120 in it, which is a bit much in my opinion. It tastes a bit too strongly of raisins, and it takes a bit of aging for the maltiness to meld and tone down. Still, good hop profile, and it turned out pretty good after aging.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #14
Effington
Recipes 

Yep, a pound of crystal 120. Seems like this one would benefit from some aging though. I noticed that final ABV is rated about 6% (OG: 1.050-1.060). I'd really like to bump that up above 7% to truly represent the American Strong Ale style....

So, assuming 6.6 lbs of Amber LME and 2 lbs of Amber DME... what would you guys recommend to get the OG more or less in the 1.070 area? I'm thinking either picking up some more DME or just adding some corn sugar I have lying around.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #15
corrigan82
Recipes 

I just brewed this 2 days ago. Looks great, smells curious. And by curious I mean it doesn't smell like Arrogant Bastard. This is only my second batch but I would think it would smell closer the final product. Does fermentation effect smell? Or is my beer screwed up? I'm assuming waiting is my best bet and not worrying right? No fermentation yet either.......

Old 02-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
fretsforlife
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wait a sec, Forrest, you designed the Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout?! I could kiss you man! That was by far the best stout I have ever made. My girlfriend and I kicked a keg of it in a week and a half. I also gave some to my neighbor who came knocking back at my door the next day because he said he was having dreams about it and needed just more more pint to get his mind off it.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:37 AM   #17
Effington
Recipes 

OK, so here's my story... I made this kit as-is and got an OG of 1.083.

After a whopping 62 days in primary (at only about 62°F) I bottled with an FG of 1.022.

That gave me an ABV of about 8%.... ooooooh yeah.

OK, so after 2 days you have a long way to go before it's anything like Arrogant Bastard - you need to let this one age. Like I said, I left this in primary for nearly 9 weeks. That's definitely not necessary, but worked fine for this style. The crazy thing is that I popped one after only a week in the bottle (70°F) and it was drinkably foamy.

I recommend leaving this one sit for a while, or at least racking to secondary - I know some people are against extended aging on the yeast cake but this one seemed to be just fine. Give me a couple weeks, I'll let you know.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
derekbooth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this kit last Sunday. My OG came in at 1.071 (I added about half a gallon too much water in my primary. Oops!) and today its sitting at 1.015. About 7.3% ABV. I snuck a sample from primary today. If someone told me I was drinking flat, room temperature Arrogant Bastard, I'd believe it! Good stuff.

...now my girlfriend and I are headed to Escondido to celebrate valentine's day at the Stone Brewery!

Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Secondary: Chocolate Porter
Bottled: Rogue Dead Guy (Clone)
Keg 1: Raspberry Wheat Ale
Keg 2: Imperial Pale Ale (Arrogant Bastard Clone)

Old 02-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
FiddleTilDeath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This kit is really good. Mine was bottled 10/14/09 and it has always been a very good beer but has improved greatly with age and I will likely not go near my remaining bottles for quite some time. It may be worth using more hops than the recipe includes.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
Signal1hundred
Recipes 

This is my first attempt at homebrew and I just bottled on Monday. My OG was only 1.065 as I think I added too much water in the primary. FG came out to 1.011. I sampled a bit and it was very bitter, but good. Didn't have any Arrogant Bastard on hand to compare it too but I hope it comes out similar. I fermented in the primary for 3 weeks and will try to hold off 2 weeks before sampling. Ok, maybe 1 week.

Quick Reply