HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
jtworkman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame310 View Post
Also, shouldn't a tripel be lighter?
I think that was about the color I ended up with. I think that candi sugar carmelizes easily and gets you that slightly darker color, but that's just my hypothesis. Also, I ended up at about 1.030 and it looks like that's pretty much where everyone else who has commented ended up. It's a decent beer but not quite what I was hoping for. Mine was also a little too sweet. Was hoping for something a little drier. I think you're onto something with the yeast. I've been having a similar problem with all my kits but I've only used dry yeast so far. I think if you use liquid yeast or a do a yeast starter you might get a little more attenuation. I'm an amateur though, so it would be best if an experienced brewer could chime in on my comments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Dr_Muz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZRIS
I brewed this kit once when i first started brewing. It was actually the first kit that i didnt alter in some way. I brewed it for a camping trip and it was a popular choice. We finished all the home brew before we finished the stuff ever one else bought.

I reccomend giving your carboy a stir and kicking up the yeast cake. that will help get things going again, you should see active fermentation soon after. Also, I didnt 2ndary the beer, it didnt really need it. I just transfered to the bottleing bucket and let it settle for 24 hours before bottling. Added some priming sugar syrup and stirred gently right before we bottled.

good luck and enjoy!

oh on another note, according the BJCP guidelines: my beer actually turned out to be a Belgian strong ale with that kit.
Could you post instructions for making that in one fermenter? Many thanks!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
RIC0

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

First off I would suggest when you brew a batch, leave it alone for 2 weeks, don't touch it or do any readings.

If it's stuck at whatever then it is what it is. I've yet to have a FG reading that was still to high and do something to "fix" it.

I've shakin, stirred, pitched more fresh yeast, done wild chants around camp fires, you name it and it did nothing to the FG. yeah it sucks but it's still beer....

I did a tripel a week ago (not a brewersbest kit) and have no plan to check the gravity for 3 weeks, then will let it sit for another 3 weeks before it goes to bottle where it will sit for a month or so before I taste it.....

From what i've read these belgian tripels take a LONG time to age and get that good taste to them.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 AM   #14
StroudCreek
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I did not touch mine for A MONTH and it finished at 1030

Finley Creek Brewery

• On Tap - Mulberry Wheat, Pumpkin Ale, Chocolate Extra Stout, Pale Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter
• In Bottles - Oktoberfest
• In Primary -

Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #15
RIC0

Recipes 

Just did a gravity reading on my tripel that is 10 days old an it was 1.018

OG = 1.078

This was a partial mash that should be around 8% so it's right on target.

I would suspect that the kit simply does not supply enough yeast which is why it seems to be stopping at 1.030 for most people that brew this kit.

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin

Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #16
louderthanu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I too am trying this kit and it was very active for a few days(7) so I racked it to my bottling bucket after it stopped and have let it sit for several more days (17 days total).Where should my readings be at this point as I will be taking a reading shortly.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
RIC0

Recipes 

I know those kits say rack or bottle after 5-7-10 days or something but you should really let that yeast do it's thang for 2-3 weeks especially with a high gravity beer. Take a reading and see were it's at, hard to say to be honest.

Mead Primary - Nuttin

louderthanu Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
louderthanu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

O.K I too am at 1.030 although I suck at hydrometer readings some times it's hard for me to float correctly (sticks to the sides).

Quick Reply