New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
jtworkman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewer's Best Belgian Tripel question

I'm brewing my first batch with my own kit (helped a friend in the past) and have a question about when to transfer to secondary. My Belgian Tripel started fermenting very shortly after transferring it to primary fermenter (like within 8 hours) and seems to have stopped after about another 24 hours or so of fermentation. I took OG reading when I topped it off with water after transferring to primary (1.085 -- right where it was supposed to be). That was Friday night. I took another hydrometer reading after about 36 or so hours of fermentation since the airlock had stopped bubbling and I had gotten a little needlessly worried (again, this is my first brew of my own). That reading was 1.030 on Sunday afternoon. Checked it again yesterday (Tuesday) and it was unchanged (1.030).

I was planning on transferring it to the secondary fermenter on Friday, but according to the kit the FG should be about 1.017-1.020. Should I hold off on transferring it to the secondary if the SG doesn't hit FG by Friday, one week after it started fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
IFMracin
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Leave it for another week would be my recommendation.
Though, if your gravity isn't still falling there may be other issues to work though, if it still isn't moving in a couple more days I would rouse the yeast gently.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
jtworkman
Recipes 

Okay, that's what I figured but I wasn't sure. I didn't know if it was possible for the gravity to just stop at 1.030 or what. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed this kit once when i first started brewing. It was actually the first kit that i didnt alter in some way. I brewed it for a camping trip and it was a popular choice. We finished all the home brew before we finished the stuff ever one else bought.

I reccomend giving your carboy a stir and kicking up the yeast cake. that will help get things going again, you should see active fermentation soon after. Also, I didnt 2ndary the beer, it didnt really need it. I just transfered to the bottleing bucket and let it settle for 24 hours before bottling. Added some priming sugar syrup and stirred gently right before we bottled.

good luck and enjoy!

oh on another note, according the BJCP guidelines: my beer actually turned out to be a Belgian strong ale with that kit.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
RyanKoP
Recipes 

The same exact thing is happening to me right now. I am on my fifth day of 1.030. I have gave it a stir and still no change. Any update of how this turned out?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Rouse the yeast and get the temp up to 72-74F and keep it there for another week then re-check. Belgian yeast is a unique beast and it can take awhile to shave off the last points of the fermentation. It doesn't tolerate temperature drops well and should be increased gradually through the primary fermentation.

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
jtworkman
Recipes 

I think helibrewer is right on, according to my experience. It didn't end up at the 8.5-9% it was supposed to end up at, but this recipe can use a little more time than they recommend. I bottled it about four and a half weeks ago and it keeps getting better all the time. I had a similar experience to MZRIS though I think. Mine ended up as more of a Belgian Strong Ale than a Tripel.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
thegame310
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I know this is an old thread, but this is the same issue I'm having with this same kit. It refuses to drop past 1.030.

Was in primary for 3 weeks, and just racked to secondary yesterday. Now with this kit, they don't provide a true Belgian yeast, in fact it's S-33.

Should I just leave it in secondary at 1.030 o should I consider re-pitching some new yeast?

Also, shouldn't a tripel be lighter?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Roger_M
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have one of these kits that is also stuck at 1.030 im gonna go ahead and let it clear and bottle and see what happens. I tried everthing, rousing the yeast warming to 78 nothing kicked it off again.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
StroudCreek
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I to have the same problem, my OG was 1086 I had it in primary for a month and it never did drop below 1030. I cold crashed it for about 24 hours and kegged it. It's not a bad beer it's just not a really good beer, it's a little to sweet.

Finley Creek Brewery

• On Tap - Mulberry Wheat, Pumpkin Ale, Chocolate Extra Stout, Pale Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter
• In Bottles - Oktoberfest
• In Primary -

Quick Reply