Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewer's Best beer ingredient kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
epistrummer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Brewer's Best beer ingredient kit

I picked up a kit from these guys and was wondering what others thought about their products. This one is Robust Porter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed 2 batches with their kits then tinkered with them to make it my own. But I have had no issues with them. the double IPA came out awesome. My other batch is still fermenting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Homebrew...?feature=watch

Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Gduck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My experience with them was I consistantly made a drinkable solid beer. Never made anything that blew me away, but never had a brew I didn't enjoy when I used their kits.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
grimzella
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 46

dont follow the directions it comes with,, at least not everything it tell you to do. hop boil times can be adjusted, also it says to leave in primary for a week. i guess it all depends on the beer but.. i read here that 3-4 in primary weeks better (debated to death) but thats what i do.. then no secondary.. except for lagers or high gravity beers) I also have noticed a slightly better, tasty difference in my second batch, i read not to "boil" the LME. to me when i just boil, maybe, a 1/3 of my LME with my steeped grains.. the beer seems to taste "cleaner" .. again, just suggestions, from knowledge i got here at this site.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 608 Posts
Likes Given: 227

I've brewed that kit. I was disappointed with it when I tasted my first bottle. It was thin and watery, not what I expected with a name with robust in it. I had other beers to drink so I let it set in the box, every now and then opening a bottle and being disappointed....until one day I tried a bottle and it really was robust. A really good porter. It took about 2 months in the bottle to mature and from then on I really enjoyed it.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
boscobeans
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I finished one of their Imperial nut brown ale kits 3 weeks ago. Popped one open just now.. Hmmm. A little cloudy, but not bad. Very, very dark with lots of chocolate, malt and a solid hop kick. The head is almost as rich as a Guiness stout. Will see what it's like after a few more weeks/months in the cellar.

bosco

Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
wburn
Recipes 

I've had good luck with them, I did the California imperial ale, and black India ale, both were pretty good. I also brewed the imperial blonde and Oktoberfest, those turned out horribly, but both times attributed to my inexperience and/or brewing mishaps.

Primary: Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale
Secondary: Vacant
Tap 1: Brewer's Best Black India Ale
Tap 2: Brewer's Best Imperial Blonde (Likely Ruined with Fusels)

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
Sevenal
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I'll second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
I finished one of their Imperial nut brown ale kits 3 weeks ago. Popped one open just now.. Hmmm. A little cloudy, but not bad. Very, very dark with lots of chocolate, malt and a solid hop kick. The head is almost as rich as a Guiness stout. Will see what it's like after a few more weeks/months in the cellar.

bosco
My first attempt was a BB Irish Stout and not being in the know concerning home brewing I followed the recipe to the letter except the priming sugar. I just stirred it in (a couple half and halves) and those things can happen I guess.
The Irish Stout was a little more Hoppy than I expected. I liked it. A lot!
Good after bottled for ten days, better after two weeks and amazing after 21 days. I enjoyed it VERY cold. Dark dark brown, creamy head, nice lace. Aroma is exceptional. Tasted like Muphy's Stout 12 oz and Dog Fish Head 60 4oz mixed.
I,ll buy the kit again so I can pay better attention to the exact ingredients so I can try to duplicate it. I only got 4 1/2 gallons and OG was 1.053 It finished at about 4.7 % alcohol. Might want to make it shy of five gallons to intensify ?
Just a thought. I do recommend the Irish Stout for an easy first brew for the Dark Beer lover. It has been very nice as a black and tan as well.
Cheers

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
ReaderRabbit
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My LHBS mostly carries Brewer's Best kits, so that's all I've used so far. My first two batches (I'm making 2.5 gallon batches) were the milk stout, then I made two matches of witbeer. I've got the American amber carbing right now.

They've all been great beers. The kits were easy enough not to scare me away from homebrewing, though, once I make the second batch of amber, I plan to try working form a recipe next.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
Wigs
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

I just picked up their IPA kit for my first batch this weekend. Looking forward to it. I haven't read through their instructions yet, but hoping it's clear what to follow and what not to follow (having heard here "don't follow their instructions to a T").

Quick Reply