Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewed My First Batch...Yeast prob?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
unanauta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am also a new brewer with a related question. I am on my first batch and I used the same kit, Brewer's Best Irish Stout. I had a little bit of activity within a few hours, but it seems to have stopped now, about a day later. Should I give it more time to get going more, or do I have a problem on my hands? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #12
WAGNER BREWING
Recipes 

My batch started fermenting after 12-14 hrs. I wouldnt get worried too soon, because i sure did. There is tons of advice on what to do if it does not start to ferment, keep me posted on what happens.

Primary #1: I'll be Bock

Primary #2: Ash Red Lager

Secondary: Empty

Bottled: Rengaw Leaf Stout

Up Next: Unsure...

Thinking About: Banana Spice(?), Scottish Ale

Old 11-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
WAGNER BREWING
Recipes 

At 1.020 I siphoned the beer to a secondary. I hope it clears up well. Im thinking that I'll leave it in the seconday for 3 - 5 days and try to get the gravity reading to 1.018. Sound right?

Old 11-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

I don't know about the final s.g. because it depends on the recipe but I'd probably leave the beer in secondary about two weeks. I've never used any finings with my beers and almost always do a two week secondary. I've been thrilled with the results- clear tasty beer of all types! If you're going to the trouble of doing a secondary, 3 days just won't cut it. You want the sediment to well, settle, and fermentation to completely finish. Most folks on this board recommend the 1-2-3 method for most beers. 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottles before drinking.

At the very least, plan on a full week in the secondary. You'll be amazed at the amount of "stuff" on the bottom of the carboy.

Lorena

Old 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #15
WAGNER BREWING
Recipes 

Thanks Lorena! Thats very helpful...

Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #16
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually do a two week secondary, too. Sometimes three weeks. Sometimes you get busy or lazy and it goes longer! I've never had it affect the flavor by having it sit longer in secondary.

One thing I highly recommend to everyone is to make a yeast starter a day or two prior to brew day. It's easy to do and takes little time. That way, if your yeast isn't viable and healthy, you'll know it and be able to plan accordingly. If it is viable and healthy, your fermentation will take off very quick once you add the yeast to your primary - usually within 3-6 hours! Here's an FAQ on yeast starters.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

A, sort of, related question.

What level of carbonation do most recommend for a stout?

Quick Reply