Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew Room Overheated!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #1
BillyBob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew Room Overheated!

I'm out of town and just got a call from my wife telling me that my brew room had been at 86 degrees for the last 24 hours....

I've got a batch of stout in there which I brewed Saturday, another batch of stout which I brewed 3 weeks ago (ready to bottle next weekend) and about a case of stout bottle conditioning.

Any opinions as to whether it is all ruined?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'd guess that only the newest batch may be "ruined" since the others were done/almost done fermenting.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The two older ones will definitely be fine (so long as they were fine before, of course). The one you just brewed may be affected by the higher temperature. It all depends on how much it had fermented by the time the heat went up.

When the yeast are digesting sugar at higher temperature, they will produce more esters, phenols, and higher alcohols - in most styles of beer, excessive amounts of these are considered off-flavors. The amount produced will be a function of how high the temp was (quite high, in this case) and how much sugar is digested at that temp. If your stout had been, say, 90% fermented by the time the temp went up it should be little affected. If it were half done, you would probably have pretty noticeable off-flavors, though how much depends on the strain of yeast, etc, etc.

Even if it had a ways to go yet, fermentation probably had already passed the crucial lag phase and the first 12 hours or so of fermentation, which are most crucial for flavor profile. And yeast can clean up a lot of off-flavors they produce given time.

It's too soon to despair. Perhaps it will not be quite so good as it might have. But I'll wager it'll still be at least fine, if not better. Barring problems other than elevated temperature.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
BillyBob
Recipes 

Thanks for the encouraging words folks.
I just read Revvy's "Never dump your beer" post too, so I'm feeling some better.
I'll probably leave the new batch in the fermenter an extra couple of weeks (I normally go four), then let it bottle condition at least six weeks and see what happens.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You may have just brewed the best beer ever.
What kind of yeast was pitched? Chances are the peak fermentation period was over. Should be ok.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer.
- Homer Simpson

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 531

I'm guessing you like stouts. Me too! You may find a difference in the beer that was fermenting but the others will be fine.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:53 AM   #7
BillyBob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeadGrady View Post
You may have just brewed the best beer ever.
What kind of yeast was pitched? Chances are the peak fermentation period was over. Should be ok.

Wyeast 1084 smack pack.
It was very active all day Sunday, and im guessing the krausen would have fallen before the high temps occured.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're probably in good shape then. Sounds like fermentation was, if not almost done, at least seriously on its way. Might be some very slight off-flavors, not more than that.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
Pickettj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What's the cutoff for issues? I've got a similar issue with mine. My LHBS was out if the good stuff so i had to settle for a safe ale -05 yeast. It says the range is 58-75 and I have a rolling fermentation but sitting at 76. It may also make a difference that its a bock beer (wrong yeast I know, but I can't lager yet). It was 74 when the krausen
Started to form and climbed slowly to 76 over 36 hours. Fermentation is still VERY active at a bubble every second or so. Any advice would be appreciated.

On deck: Naught

Fermenter 1: Empty

Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

In The Botlle:
Nutcase Brown Ale
You'll Be Boch
Cherry Wheat

In the keg:
Alpha King Clone
TBDIPA

Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Pickettj
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

What's the cutoff for issues? I've got a similar issue with mine. My LHBS was out if the good stuff so i had to settle for a safe ale -05 yeast. It says the range is 58-75 and I have a rolling fermentation but sitting at 76. It may also make a difference that its a bock beer (wrong yeast I know, but I can't lager yet). It was 74 when the krausen
Started to form and climbed slowly to 76 over 36 hours. Fermentation is still VERY active at a bubble every second or so. Any advice would be appreciated.

On deck: Naught

Fermenter 1: Empty

Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary: Empty

In The Botlle:
Nutcase Brown Ale
You'll Be Boch
Cherry Wheat

In the keg:
Alpha King Clone
TBDIPA