Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew Rig / Automation - Taking the fun out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Brew Rig / Automation - Taking the fun out?

So I've been planning out a Brutus 10 style brew rig now for some time.

I got to check out one up close and personal and watch his brew process.

This one was all automated out with a custom control panel, temp probes, software. It was amazing..but I have to say I kind of felt like the fun of brewing was kind of lost.

Kind of having second thoughts about building mine now since I'm making good beer and have fun doing it.

Anyone feel like automation takes some of the fun out of brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've never used one but I think it would. I don't want or need machine(s) to make my beer. I want to make my beer with my own 2 hands if that makes sense. Get dirty!!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree. Automation is awesome; they look cool; and there might more consistancy to the product, but I like to do all the work. Guerrilla brewing!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
kellanv
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For me there are certain things I really enjoy doing manually in the brew process and certain things that are just a PITA. Do you really want to whirlpool your wort for 20 minutes with a spoon? Do you want to stand over your MLT thermo and manually switch it on and off to maintain mash temperature? I like a balance of being part of the process but not having to hover over every step. Some people like the recipe/science part of things, not so much the process so they would rather automate.

To each their own!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Honestly, I think the guys who build these automated setups have just as much fun designing, building and tinkering with them as they do brewing! The whole building process is just as interesting and rewarding as the brewing itself.

LKHA Likes This 
Old 02-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22 View Post
Honestly, I think the guys who build these automated setups have just as much fun designing, building and tinkering with them as they do brewing! The whole building process is just as interesting and rewarding as the brewing itself.
+1 - I'm a software developer and the old adage about the journey bring better than the destination applies here.
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH
LKHA Likes This 

Quick Reply