Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
mntbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew pot

Im wondering what is the best size pot to buy. I just recently got the starter kit for christmas, and Iam ready to brew my first batch.

I have been reading and looking around the internet when i have time (work and a 10month boy who never stops) i know i want something atleast 7.5 gallons, but im wondering if i should go bigger.

If any1 has some advice for a new brewer i would greatly appreciate it. Im looking to spend around $150 and from what ive seen i should be able to get a pretty decent pot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
trevorc13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you're just doing extract for a while you can start with a 5 gallon pot. This is great for a stovetop oven. If you are thinking about moving to all grain or a full wort boil soon I'd go at least 8 gallons.

Thanks for the input

Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
bighand
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I moved up to 10 gallon batches within 4 or 5 batches so I would recommend going bigger (15 gallon).

Old 12-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 83

How much of a problem is boil-off in a pot that's "too much larger" than your intended batch size? Would you tend to boil off more when starting with 7 gallons in a 15 gallon pot than you would in a 10 gallon pot?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Are you going to be doing brewing on your stove top or are you brewing using some type of gas/propane burner? If you are limited to your stove top for now I would recommend an 8-9 gallon pot and then use some of the rest of the money for a wort chiller if you do not already have one.

One of the factors that determine boil off rate due to convection is the exposed surface area of the wort. Boiling 6 gallons of wort in an 8 gallon pot will have less boil off than using a 15 gallon pot. If you don't plan on doing 10 gallon boils and will be wanting to have 5 gallons (finished) I would recommend looking at a 32-36 gallon pot, perhaps 40 gallon if you ever thinks you might want a 6 gallon (finished) brew.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Ben_Persitz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Are you going to be doing brewing on your stove top or are you brewing using some type of gas/propane burner? If you are limited to your stove top for now I would recommend an 8-9 gallon pot and then use some of the rest of the money for a wort chiller if you do not already have one.

One of the factors that determine boil off rate due to convection is the exposed surface area of the wort. Boiling 6 gallons of wort in an 8 gallon pot will have less boil off than using a 15 gallon pot. If you don't plan on doing 10 gallon boils and will be wanting to have 5 gallons (finished) I would recommend looking at a 32-36 gallon pot, perhaps 40 gallon if you ever thinks you might want a 6 gallon (finished) brew.
What? 36 gallon pot for a 6 gallon batch?

PRIMARY: Perfect Pale Ale

COMING SOON: Citra SMaSH, Simcoe SMaSH

Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

He meant 36 quart/9 gallon.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
toronado13
Recipes 

I'm actually in the same boat right now, just got a kit for Christmas and I'm looking for a brew pot too... I have a question about some that I've seen with a valve and a thermometer in them. I understand the thermometer, but how about the valve? Would I really need that to start? or is the valve really more useful when I start doing full grain stuff? Just curious, it seems like it could be something extra to keep clean, etc... and didn't know if when you do use it, if you'd hook up a line to it or anything?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
boostsr20
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If your using the pot with a valve to boil, then you can attach a bazooka screen to it to help filter the hot/cold break and the hop matter. Its not necessary but its a nice feature. You can also use that same screen/valve for do all grain mashes.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Like others have said, it depends on whether you want to brew indoors or outside. I've been an apartment-dweller for all of college but I'm moving into a house next year, so that means time to upgrade to 10 gallon. Although I'm really looking forward to brewing twice as much at once, I'm still happy I have my five gallon stovetop equipment. You can do brew-in-a-bag on your stovetop, just do a search.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Quick Reply