Brew and Pitched Monday Bubbles Stopped Thursday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shayn80

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm clearly one of the newbs here and I went overboard on Monday brewing from extract one German Hefewietzen and one Belgan Witbier. The German was first brewed, pitched and transfered to its primary on Monday, the Belgan was brewed, pitched and transfered to its primary second with everything completed by 9:30pm with a start time of 12:30pm. Everything was cleaned with PBW and sanatized with StarSan prior to any movement from any container. Its Friday morning and all bubbling from both primary's ceased as of Thursday at 2pm for both beers. Is my beer DOA of should I follow the instructions and move to secondary. Please keep in mind that both primary's fermented from Monday to Thursday at a constant 75 F degree's. Any advice is welcome, even negative as I'm at a loss for how to proceed so if I lost two batches so be it live and learn. Thank you all!

Your beer is fine. Let it set for at least another week. 2 is better.

You should cool it down a little. Your at the high end of the temp range.

Bull

What kind of yeast did you use? In other posts, I've read that dry yeast can often ferment very rapidly, while some liquid yeast is very slow to get started. My two brews used Munton's dry yeast, and both fermented in about 60 hours! Hope this helps.

glenn514:mug:

Sounds OK to me. I had a Belgium Wheat beer that hardly bubbled at all and it turned out OK. You are a little high on the temperature which could have caused it to ferment faster than you expected.

I brewed monday and pitched a packet of S-05.....It was bubbling away in only a couple of hours and was quiet as a mouse by wednesday night....I pulled the bung out and took a sniff last night and it smells great!!!I will let it go a while longer then I am gonna secondary it ( cause thats what I did last time and it turned out really well) for a week or two then bottle it.

Did you take gravity readings with a hydrometer? It's the only way to tell if fermentation has started/stopped.

Bubbles in your Airlock only mean that CO2 is venting through the lid/stopper. It is NOT an indication of fermentation activity. Sometimes I have no activity at all and others it goes on for days.

If you've been taking gravity readings...take one now then take one in 3 days and see if it's the same. If it's not it's still fermenting.

Bubbles are no indication of fermentation. You need to take gravity readings with your hydrometer. That being said, 3-4 days is pretty fast for a fermentation, but not unheard of. Take a reading now and in a couple of days. If they are the same you are done.

75 degrees is pretty warm! Is that the temperature of the beer inside the fermenter, or the room temperature? I use a stick-on thermometer to see the temperature of my beer. During fermentation, it's often several degrees warmer inside the fermenter. Usually, a warmer fermentation will go fast.

Most ale yeast taste best when fermented in the 60s, but it'll be fine even warmer. One of the effects of a hot ferment may be some fruitiness. You may want to leave it in the fermenter about 2-3 weeks to let it condition a bit.

Hi thank you for your feedback! to answer some of your questions the yeast I used was Safbrew T-58 for the Belgan and WhiteLabs VI/IV? Hefewiezen. As for the temp I was reading it from the stick-on thermometer on the Glass Carboy (Belgan) and Plastic Bucket (Hefe). I have not taken a gravity reading yet I was planning on hanging in there to Monday giving a full 7 days. With this added info I hope to get more feedback and I thank you all again for what you have said already.

Well, you were just five degrees over the optimum fermenting range, if you used WLP 380. You may get more of a banana flavor than you were planning, but it should still be really good. Ideally, it would have been under 70 degrees.

Back