Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Which Brew Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
mulliganx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Which Brew Kit?

Looking at some decent beer kits, and wanted to ask which would be best for a new brewer.

Going to brew two types of beer at a time, going to be universal on beer types, but mainly concentrating on lagers, pumpkin ales, and other ales.

All around experimenting really. But linked some below that caught my eye, I do not want to purchase mr. beer seems to 'mainstream'.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewi...ter-kit-1.html

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_Maes...AutoSiphon.cfm

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning...1-_p_1703.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I would personally go with the midwest kit, but I would ask them if you can swap out the 5 gallon plastic carboy for a 6 gallon so you can use it as a second primary. Their retail price is only 1$ difference between the two sizes.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad
I would personally go with the midwest kit, but I would ask them if you can swap out the 5 gallon plastic carboy for a 6 gallon so you can use it as a second primary. Their retail price is only 1$ difference between the two sizes.
Agreed, 100%

Old 11-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
agbrewer03
Recipes 

Really like my Williams. For starting out, I couldn't find a better deal on the equipment. I got the kit with the brew pot and wort chiller.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #5
jmcm_brew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 61 Posts

+1 Midwest.. Besides brew kettle upgrades and upgrades for all grain I use my Midwest supplies after many many brews

A great beer can be identified with one sip... Buts it's better to have another and be absolutely sure

Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
mulliganx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just asking this to learn. but why can you not use a 5 gallon plastic carboy as a second primary? Why do you say to use a 6 gallon?

Is that 1 gallon that much of a difference in the amount you are able to produce?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #7
DrWill
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx
Just asking this to learn. but why can you not use a 5 gallon plastic carboy as a second primary? Why do you say to use a 6 gallon?

Is that 1 gallon that much of a difference in the amount you are able to produce?

Thanks
A 6 gallon fermenter will allow you to ferment 5 gallons of beer with adequate room for krausen without having to worry about massive blowoff.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 35

+1 for MW

Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
jmcm_brew
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx
Just asking this to learn. but why can you not use a 5 gallon plastic carboy as a second primary? Why do you say to use a 6 gallon? Is that 1 gallon that much of a difference in the amount you are able to produce? Thanks
I've used a 5 gallon for a secondary.. There's not much going on so you should be fine.. Definitely want a 6 for primary though.. I use a 6.5 and still use a blowoff tube because my krausen gets crazy sometimes.. And that makes me happy!

A great beer can be identified with one sip... Buts it's better to have another and be absolutely sure

Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
Haji
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I personally use a 5 gallon glass carboy for secondary. Using a carboy that is as close as possible to your batch size in secondary minimizes surface area exposed to possible oxidation.

Ideally, you shouldn't have any signs of vigorous fermentation in secondary. The bulk of that should have been accomplished in primary fermentation. You shouldn't have to have room for extreme krausen.

A 6.5 gallon is excellent as a primary fermentor, specifically because it does allow for massive krausen during high SG fermentation. You could get away with a 6 as a primary in some cases, but there's no way I'd use it for secondary. There's just to much headspace unless you do a CO2 purge.

Quick Reply