New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 01:57 AM   #1
tohadlock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew Kit?

A lot of good discussion here guys.

I am looking for a brew kit that I can start off with as a beginner but at the same time be able to use several years from now if/when I am doing all grain brewing.

So far what I "think" is the best deal is at the URL below.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

I was thinking of buying the "Deluxe Starter Kit".

Also, I am looking for a low cost boiling pot that I can later use for all grain brewing so I was trying not to get the smallest I neeed.

Also, I am wanting to boil outside so I am thinking of an outside propane burner.

All suggestions are welcome for this newbie.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3857 Times on 2818 Posts
Likes Given: 644

Wow- you're starting off thinking about a kit I wished I would have chosen! I started smaller, but had to buy more items to get what I needed.

For a propane burner, there are some around here who use turkey fryers. I'm not sure how they work- but someone else will chime in and let you know.

If you are doing partial boils (how most people start out), a smaller pot is fine. You may have one laying around- I use my canning pot. But for All grain or a full boil, you need a much larger pot, I'd say 40 quarts. You want something that is durable and won't scorch on the bottom. Quality is important in this case.

Any questions you have are always welcome.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:16 AM   #3
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also keep in mind that you don't need to go b***s and all to make good beer. A regular stove, a reasonably large brew pot and a quality malt extract kit with specialty grains will make you good stuff on your first batch. While going all grain on the first batch is admirable, it isn't really necessary.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
bitteral
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tohadlock

http://www.northernbrewer.com/starterkits.html

I was thinking of buying the "Deluxe Starter Kit".
Looks like a good choice. I get the impression that many try to get into this hobby with a smaller startup cost, but end up spending the difference and more, anyways, to get the equipment you would be getting with the "Deluxe Starter Kit". I'm in that boat now myself, considering a glass carboy for secondary fermentation, having started with two plastic buckets just a few of months ago.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:44 AM   #5
NYeric
Recipes 

I bought the same kit to start and about a minute after I got done brewing I already started planning more. I went out a week later and purchased another 300 bucks worth of equipment.

The it you show will do what you want, but if you want multiple batches going you will add on...but get it from what little I know the price is right

Old 04-14-2007, 03:57 AM   #6
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Check out the intermediate kit from midwest. I like that one a lot for the $$$. I took that kit then made my own for cheaper at morebeer.com Because of where I am, shipping made the difference.

For propane burners, get a turkey fryer with a 30qt aluminum pot. Taht gets you outside, gets the pot out of the way and keeps you under $50 if you do it on ebay. The fryers come with both the burner and the pot. One of my best investments....

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!! and welcome to the obsession............

Old 04-14-2007, 04:50 AM   #7
MashStirBrew
Recipes 

I just purchased the intermediate kit from Midwest with better bottles and racking ports. I couldn't be more happy. I am only on my first brew but have the ingredients for a second on the way. .

Whatever you end up with, save the boxes the carboys come in. Cut the tabs off of the side you open and cut a hole big enough for the airlock on the bottom. Makes for a cheap/functional carboy cover.

Quick Reply