The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brew just boiled over a little bit...and how do I measure OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
ColoradoBrewMeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brew just boiled over a little bit...and how do I measure OG

So...

My brew just boiled over a bit...not a lot...but enough that it looks like some hops just came out...should I be okay?!?!?!

Also, for checking the OG, can I just put my hydrometer right in my wort once it has cooled to check?

Brew on,

Chris

Bottles: Abbey Ale
Secondary: Chris Moon
Next: Honey Basil Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
cms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your beer will be fine, even if some hops fell overboard. You may lose some bitterness, but it will still be fine.

I checked by floating my hydrometer in the bucket before, but that was before I realized that I had to shake the holy hell out of it to get the wort to mix with my top-off water. Since doing that, the wort in the bucket is WAY too frothy to do that. I think you are best off drawing a sample out to test since it will either (1) take forever for that froth to die back enough to get a reading or (2) mean that you are testing unmixed wort+top-off water and will get a bad reading. My last few batches, I used a sanitized turkey-baster to suck out enough wort to test in the hydrometer jar. You can get the actual mixed wort this way, and get a good measurement.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
Hamada
Recipes 

Don't worry about the boil-over. You probably didn't lose enough hop material to worry about.

As far as checking gravity, you should be able to check the gravity of the cooled wort in the kettle or fermenter but you'll get a better reading out of a transparent vessel like the tube the hydrometer was packaged in. If you're doing a partial boil, make sure the wort is mixed well with the top-off water before checking your gravity.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
B0rnFrustr8ed
Recipes 

I could be wrong here, but if you are asking if you can measure the cooled wort before adding water to get to 5 gallons (presumably), then the answer is no.

I've done that.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
ColoradoBrewMeister
Recipes 

Okay...

I will chill the wort, add to the carboy mix with water, then draw a sample with my auto siphon into the hydrometer tube.

Brew on,

Chris

Bottles: Abbey Ale
Secondary: Chris Moon
Next: Honey Basil Ale

Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
cappy
Recipes 

Be sure to mix really well after topping off. Shake, swirl, stir, lather rinse repeat.

cappy

Quick Reply