Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > brew day worksheet

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
richbrew99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Beersmith, it keeps track of everything I need and allows me to print out a brewday sheet to keep track of things while I'm brewing.
I do this also

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2147 Times on 1536 Posts
Likes Given: 1179

You guys are WAY too organized!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
You guys are WAY too organized!
if it makes u feel any better i forget the tech 99% of the time. I always use my notebook and pen first, and half the time i'm too lazy to scribe it over to the computer.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I use Beersmith and usually adjust my water and all that. But half the time I forget to follow the brew sheet exactly, and I rarely make notes of my brew day.

But you guys have inspired me! I'm right now making a spreadsheet that will have all of the recipe information and notes so that I can look back and know exactly what I did right and/or wrong. I usually have questions about previous batches, and this will allow me to look back and see exactly what I did.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I scribble my gravities and volumes all over the brewsheet printout and put notes on the back of the sheet. Once I'm done with cleanup I sit down and put it all in to Beersmith, then throw the brewsheet away. If I've had a bit too much to drink I'll put the brewsheet on the keyboard so I remember to transfer everything in the morning.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I use Beersmith and usually adjust my water and all that. But half the time I forget to follow the brew sheet exactly, and I rarely make notes of my brew day.

But you guys have inspired me! I'm right now making a spreadsheet that will have all of the recipe information and notes so that I can look back and know exactly what I did right and/or wrong. I usually have questions about previous batches, and this will allow me to look back and see exactly what I did.
Grab a notebook. When it comes to notes you should record everything about your brew day and each brew. I even record the weather, and what i'm watching or listening to on the tv/radio.

You never know when you will hit that PERFECT brew and wonder what you did. Just reviewing notes a week, month, etc later can make you 100% better.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.
LoloMT7 Likes This 
Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
dwshotwell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've been making an online notebook using "Microsoft OneNote." It creates a digital scrapbook or notebook with tabs and pages. For each batch I create a new section with the recipe on the first page, followed by a subpage for Brewing Notes, where I put in notes about each step of the process, and then daily entries with observations on fermentation, temp, etc. Then a subpage on drinking and tasting with entries about how it turned out and how taste changed over time. I also created a section where I keep tract of ideas, recipes, websites on brewing, etc. You can also share sections of the notebook by entering other peoples email addresses and sending them a link. I have the ap on my iPhone, so I can enter notes on the fly or sit at computer and pull up the website.

An enterprising web programmer could add that sort of function to a website like this one.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2025 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 1505

That's pretty much what I do in my notebook. I also use a gel pen to make it bolder. Recipe first with dates & times. Date & time of day for additional entries.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
Grab a notebook. When it comes to notes you should record everything about your brew day and each brew. I even record the weather, and what i'm watching or listening to on the tv/radio.

You never know when you will hit that PERFECT brew and wonder what you did. Just reviewing notes a week, month, etc later can make you 100% better.
Man, that is a great idea! I'm leaving lots of "memo" space on this spreadsheet I'm making, just to record the details. I wonder what it would read like....

December 24th, 2011

12:15 pm Mashed 11 lbs. of grain and 168F water. Stirred vigorously.

Closed lid and popped open a Beels HOPSLAM! Oh yeah! That's tasty!

12:30 Glass is empty. Pop open another Hopslam! Good, but not as good as before... Maybe a shot of bourbon, just to see what it tastes like together??

1:00 pm Forgot to start heating sparge water. Getter bet going on that.

1:05 pm Whew, catastrfy avoiddd. What now? read notes... Ok, begin lauter. where'es my pail thingy?

1:15 pm. Found thing and popped another Hopslam. lauter time!

1:25 pm beer is gooood! oh**** forgot sparge water!

1:35 pm. sparge water cooling now. was boiling! lauter compltee.. f it.

1:45 pm adding spgr water.

1L5 pm left valve open. stupid ber! he he

2 forgot to lauter. hard to type. WTF? always like this... f it. too tired to brew. must go on.

215 fire upbk! forggggg check gravity.

240 boil over. fogt hops. restart timr add hops fck id my mometer///./????

3:45 took nap. feel a bit better. Hope my thermometer is not in the BK. Skipping chiller. too tired. looks like it's another NO CHILL brew.

Quick Reply